You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Initial feedback of a converting PagePlus User

Feedback after 3 days on/off work on a 32-page village newsletter...

Publisher 1.72, running on MacOS 10.14.6

Bugs:
  • If I update one of my master pages (change margins and column guides) in a half-completed document then only the first page sees the updated master, the others are unchanged.  Is this a bug?
    • I can re-apply the master to subsequent pages, but this deletes all the text frames on those pages!  I lost all my text (flowed through many pages) by doing this and had hit save before noticing.  Would have been a disaster if I hadn’t been able to pull the doc from my backup made a few hours earlier!
  • I’m a newly converting PagePlus user and tried a lot of things that didn’t work...  At one point I ended up with a graphic (that I’d been trying to get to move with the text) stuck on a page.  Even deleted the text frame etc and it still remained!  Eventually deleted the page (and some after), created new pages and re-linked, which worked.
  • Page-up/down does not work.  Command-arrow (any) does NOT page up or down.  The only way I can do this is using the pages pane on the left and clicking or scrolling (mouse wheel).  This is annoying!  (I have the standard, wireless keyboard.)
  • Spelling tool does not work for me.  It highlights tehb first word it doesn’t like but when I “ignore” it does not advance to the next dubious word.  Clocking next doesn’t do it either!

Wish-list enhancements/comments:
  • Its nice that typing a space after, eg, 4th automatically superscripts the “th”.  Please could this also be made to happen if the “th” is followed by a tab instead of a space (this is how PagePlus works)?
  • PDF import is working very well for me — big improvement on PagePlus!
  • PLEASE add a way to find & jump to overflowing text frames!  For instance by adding another tab to the Resource Manager.  (Have seen this requested already).   Same comment applies to anything else that gets flagged at export/print time.

If anyone knows work arounds for any of the above, or knows what I'm doing wrong, I'd be grateful to hear from them :)

@AndyS, welcome to the forums!

There is a separate section of the forum for bug reports, and those bug reports should really be moved to a separate topic there, preferably one per bug as it makes it easier to follow the discussion; you indicated that you are on a Mac so that would be here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/81-publisher-bugs-found-on-macos/

19 hours ago, AndyS said:

Page-up/down does not work.  Command-arrow (any) does NOT page up or down.

I believe the default keys are command + page up/down (not in front of me at the moment)?  In any case, you can customize this under Preferences.

At one point I ended up with a graphic (that I’d been trying to get to move with the text) stuck on a page.

If something like this happens, the image may not have actually been inlined in the text frame, so deleting the frame wouldn't have worked.  Try finding the image on the Layers panel and deleting it from there.

If I update one of my master pages (change margins and column guides) in a half-completed document then only the first page sees the updated master, the others are unchanged.

Are you sure the master was applied to the page to begin with?  If so, then I would definitely agree this is a bug, and there have been very similar bugs found and fixed with Publisher in the past so I wouldn't rule out that you may have bumped into one.

PLEASE add a way to find & jump to overflowing text frames!

Definitely agreed.  If you have "show text flow" enabled and are zoomed in enough that the text boxes are not too small, you should be able to spot the red triangles on the sides of the overflowing text boxes as you scroll through...  but there should really be a less manual solution for this.