You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Converting to Text Frame, text is upside down and mirrored, help

I am taking a pdf file of a map, and I am attempting to turn these polygons into text frames so that I can fill them with colored text to make a specific type of map. When I convert any of these polygons into text frames, the text I write is upside and mirrored (see picture). Does anyone have a solution to this problem? 

I am unable to simply crop a text frame to the shape because it is import that no text is cut off in the final product. 

Thanks!

frame_problem.JPG

If the original polygon is upside down, the resultant text frame will be upside down. Draw a rectangle on top, making sure that it completes covers the polygon, select both objects and click on the ‘Intersect’ icon in the Geometry section of the main toolbar. This will give you a new polygon of the correct shape but not flipped upside down, so when you convert it to a text frame the text will be the right way up.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Draw a rectangle on top, making sure that it completes covers the polygon, select both objects and click on the ‘Intersect’ icon in the Geometry section of the main toolbar.

Alternatively, draw a small rectangle which is completely enclosed by the polygon, select both objects and click on the ‘Add’ icon.

Alfred spacer.png

That is certainly the problem, and your solution works but it will be a tedious process for all the shapes I would need to do it on. Do you know if there is way to speed up the workflow or to ensure that the pdf is exported with the shapes in the proper orientation? I am exporting from QGIS

I appreciate the help!

Edit: I a referring to the first solution proposed

Edited by jackhstephan
To add punctuation and calrify

19 minutes ago, jackhstephan said:

Do you know if there is way to speed up the workflow or to ensure that the pdf is exported with the shapes in the proper orientation. I am exporting from QGIS

Does QGIS allow you to reverse the direction of the curves? That’s the only other way I can think of.

Edit: On reflection(!) I don’t think that will work, since a reversed curve isn’t the same as a flipped curve. If the curves are all on the same page and non-overlapping you can ‘add’ them together, intersect with a covering rectangle and then ‘divide’ the result so that they’re all corrected in one fell swoop.

Alfred spacer.png