You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Switching from paint brush tool to erase brush

When I’m working with a mask and using a black paint brush to reveal the layer below, Affinity switches spontaneously from the paint brush to the erase brush. It does this  constantly, making the paint brush virtually useless. I’m using an iPad Pro with the latest Apple pencil and I don’t even have to be touching the screen for this to happen.

If you have the newest Apple Pencil it has an option that if you double tap the flat side it acts as a switch to change between options.  You can turn the option off in the iPad Main Settings Menu under the Apple Pencil subheading.  There is also a setting in the Designer Settings, the gear in the upper right of the file screen, that allows for changing the settings.  I tend to tap on the pencil without thinking and so I have the option turned off.

Here’s a screen print together with the steps; I chose the images, a rug and a sky, because they’re easy to distinguish:

1. Selected sky and copied

2. Selected rug and pasted sky

3. Added mask to sky

4. In layers studio moved rug and mask above sky

5. Went back and forth over the mask alternating between black and white paint brushes 

The problem seems to be associated with the white brush. The program flipped to the eraser when I had the white brush selected and touched the color studio icon to make the change to a black brush; it also flipped to the eraser when I was using the white brush. The problem is intermittent, happening about once every three black-white cycles.

Dean Mac, thank you for the Apple Pencil suggestion. I did have the option switch selected (probably a default since I wasn’t aware it existed), but when I turned it off, the eraser problem was still with me, unfortunately.

Thank you.419AE398-690F-4D84-98C2-75ECE1EB3802.thumb.png.82236f9c07eecbaadb48d0442c37ac60.png

• 4 weeks later...