You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Excessive memory utilization with Publisher

I have a problem with Publisher using an excessive amount of memory. My pc has 8 Gb in total, and under normal circumstances memory use is 30 to 40% (as measured by Windows Task Manager). But I sometimes find that Publisher uses over 5 Gb of memory, which takes total memory use on the system to about 95%. Of course, not just Publisher but the entire pc then becomes unusable.

The problem occurs with one particular document, which is not particularly large on disk (about 12 Mb). It contains about 150 pages of A5 text and about 35 b/w bitmap images, each about 4 Mb in size. Until yesterday, the document could be edited easily enough. Its final frame had text in the overflow area and I autoflowed this into new pages (about 5 new pages). After that, Publisher's memory use increased to the level mentioned above.

I have tried saving a new copy of the document but that makes no difference. When I close it, Publisher gradually frees up memory until (with no documents open) it is using only about 300 Mb.

• Staff

Hi Andrew :)

It's not entirely unusual for Affinity apps to use this amount of RAM, depending on the document and tools in use.

If you want to reduce the amount of RAM affinity has access to, open Edit>Preferences and click on the Performance tab. The first option here is your RAM limit - which should currently be set to around 8000mb. Reduce this to a setting you're more comfortable with and you should find that Affinity will now 'cap out' when it hits it's RAM usage limit, leaving spare RAM available for the rest of your system. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.7.2.421 Win7 Pro

In Preferences->Performance I have my RAM limit set to 20GB on a 32GB system and it still uses 30GB, essentially using all available ram available at the time.   Loading the document can take up to 45% CPU.  I start getting a lot of  "Not Responding" in AP and other apps. 

The document is a 28 page 11x8.5 document with 14 linked images.

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response, could you please attach a copy of your file to the following link, alongside your linked images?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/AeFyUan7uI5N9sBmzjiq

Can you also provide a screenshot of your settings in Preferences>Performance? The setting here only applies to 'Raster Blocks' (ie the parts of the canvas being drawn on screen) and do not 'hard limit' the app to only use a certain amount of your system RAM.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!