Forgive what must be an absurd newbie question, but I've looked and searched and I can't seem to find how to merge files on Publisher. I could export the files as pdf's and then merge them that way at  the very end of the process, but that seems like an unnecessary workaround. Surely there's some way to do this?

Cheers. Loving this product overall.

Welcome to the forum Farrar.
You can ‘merge’ one AFPUB file into another by using the “File → Place” function but I have no idea how stable this would be or how well it works. (This embeds the AFPUB into the other AFPUB in the same way as embedding an SVG, for example.)
Might be best to keep that as an emergency-only thing though and not part of a standard workflow.
As far as I know there’s no ‘real’ way to merge AFPUB documents at the moment but I’m sure it will come at some point.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

You can ‘merge’ one AFPUB file into another by using the “File → Place” function but I have no idea how stable this would be or how well it works.

It works, and should be stable, but all it really lets you do is display 1 page of your choice from the input file in the output file. So it's not really a merge.

Merging has definitely been requested as a new feature for Publisher, and I hope it will appear someday.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.458 Beta

You can display – and edit – multiple pages by duplicating the layer onto other pages/spreads of the ‘recipient document’ and choosing a different page/spread of the ‘donor document’ via the Spread setting in the context toolbar.
It seems to work okay but I’ve not used it myself in any real job so I couldn’t vouch for its usability.
Also, when you double-click the embedded document you seem to be able to edit the whole embedded document and not just the page/spread you’ve placed, which looks like a nice way of doing things, but I don’t know what happens when the donor document is changed/saved outside of the recipient document.
More experimentation is needed by whoever has the time.