You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have question about smudge tool and outside of canvas. (A.P)

613854075_Honeycam2019-07-2100-54-15.gif.54e4c7742b4bc9d48524089324991360.gif

I don't know why smudge tool working on outside of canvas like this.

Is there any solution for smudge tool to stop pulling blank area?

please help me...(sad face) 

Edited by Ruina

2 hours ago, summersara said:

Hi,

Isn’t it just pulling the black away from the edges and revelling the white underneath? Try using the smudge brush to push the black towards the edge instead.

I couldn't ignore this problem. 

Because other programs(Photoshop, Clips Studio, Paintstorm Studio, Sai, ....) didn't work like this.

They don't pull blank area. 

I can't work with this problem to digital painting.

It really bothers me.

Edited by Ruina

2 hours ago, summersara said:

Isn’t it just pulling the black away from the edges and revelling the white underneath?

Technically, I believe it is just revealing the default document background color (so either white or transparent), but aside from that minor quibble I think you are right.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, Ruina said:

I can't work with this problem to digital painting.

Why? Smudging only affects pixels that actually are on the canvas, so if you don't want to push them away from an edge, don't push them away from it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Why? Smudging only affects pixels that actually are on the canvas, so if you don't want to push them away from an edge, don't push them away from it.

Real problem is when I use big size brush to background painting.

To spread paint evenly is hard with this problem.

If my big size brush touched canvan's edge, It will be stained with white. 

And this is waste of time to fix it.  

Edited by Ruina

23 minutes ago, Ruina said:

If my big size brush touched canvan's edge, It will be stained with white.  

It will only been stained with what is underneath, in this case the default, white document background (as mentioned) but could be the transparent checker-board if you checked that when setting up your document and a colour or photo depending what you put on the layer underneath.

Push the layer pixels towards the edge instead and its easy enough to push them back if by mistake you have caught the edges.

19 minutes ago, summersara said:

It will only been stained with what is underneath, in this case the default, white document background (as mentioned) but could the transparent checker-board if you checked that when setting up your document and a colour or photo depending what you put on the layer underneath.

Push the layer pixels towards the edge instead and its easy enough to push them back if by mistake you have caught the edges.

1042052601_Honeycam2019-07-2120-26-46.gif.688a8ee17c9d0438446cc45851baaae6.gif

1314372461_Honeycam2019-07-2120-30-33.gif.cdd7d4cdaf62ca3e84a0c10f749fc972.gif

OK, solved with one more layer. Thanks. 

Edited by Ruina

15 minutes ago, Ruina said:

Real problem is when I use big size brush to background painting.

Yes, if you use a large brush to smudge with, it can be hard to avoid pushing paint away from the edges of the canvas. So if your goal is to spread paint evenly, particularly near the edges, the smudge tool is not a good choice. Instead, why not consider using some other tool?

An obvious choice is the Paint Brush Tool, perhaps with a soft brush and maybe wet edges & less than 100% opacity for a more subtle effect, or any of the other options like blend modes or different brush shapes, depending on what you want the end result to look like.

Affinity Photo 

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes, if you use a large brush to smudge with, it can be hard to avoid pushing paint away from the edges of the canvas. So if your goal is to spread paint evenly, particularly near the edges, the smudge tool is not a good choice. Instead, why not consider using some other tool?

An obvious choice is the Paint Brush Tool, perhaps with a soft brush and maybe wet edges & less than 100% opacity for a more subtle effect, or any of the other options like blend modes or different brush shapes, depending on what you want the end result to look like.

OK, I got it.

In this case, Paint Bursh Tool seems to be good choice.

Thanks.

Edited by Ruina