You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

matching colors editing & printing; calibrating monitor & printer?

How can I get my printer's output to match the image I create in Affinity Photo on my monitor?

Do I need to get a device (Datacolor, x-rite, etc.) to calibrate my monitor and printer? It looks like I could get a decent device for $100-$200. Is there a low-cost alternative approach?

Most devices appear to only calibrate the display. Should I get one that does my printer too?

This tutorial suggests using displayCal software: https://player.vimeo.com/video/203279705/ (see https://displaycal.net/). It appears to work with various calibration devices,  I assume the devices all come with their own software, why use DisplayCal?

How does it all work through Affinity Photo? Does this all involve ICC profiles for my monitor and printer?

What is the process? Any advice or tips? Which is the best device <$200?

Thanks!
Ken

I'm on Windows 10; printer: Epson p400. I do a lot of B&W prints as well as color.

Hi Ken,

I've done the whole colour matching process from monitor to printer using an x-rite colormunki.

The general process is:

1. Calibrate your display. You hang the device on the monitor and the included software runs and produces a profile which is then applied each time at start up. If you use a colormunki, make sure to set it to use your ambient light in the setup - the results are greatly improved. 

2. Calibrate the printer. The software prints a set colour chart. Once printed, you run the device over the chart and it reads the colours. A second chart is then generated and the process repeated. You end up with an icc profile for that paper/printer setting. Different papers/printer setting need unique profiles generated in the same way.

Once you have the icc profile, you can use it as a soft proof adjustment layer to see how your images will output fairly accurately. 

In theory the next step is to set the colour profile in the print dialogue to use your created profile. Whether this works in Photo I'm not sure, but it doesn't work in Designer :( Setting it through Windows colour management and using "printer manages colour" used to work, but now AD is messing with the output colours.

If you have another piece of software that you can print from that supports icc profiles you can use it there.

The colormunki is pretty good, the software guides you through the process. The only quirk was that ambient light isn't used by default. Once turned on the results are great. It also functions as a spectrophotographmiser (gave up spelling that lol) so you can scan colours from materials which is a nice feature.

May I just chip in to compliment what BofG just said.....I use a monitor callibration tool from Datacolour.  They have an excellent customer service.  As for callibrating a printer, strictly speaking you Profile sheets of photographic paper, which are then used as the ICC profile that you select when you go to print.  Having said this, unless you are doing a lot of photography, and unless you are using many different kinds of paper, then It is far cheaper, a lot cheaper, do send away for a custom ICC profile, this is what I did since i was only using about two or three different media types.  All you do is download their chosen image that you use to print on your media (it is a complex series of tones and colours - not a photograph) send your chosen photograpic media through the printer with the printer set to No Colour management and send that away to the company.  Usually 15 euros per ICC profile unless you order one or two more then it is cheaper.  Hope this helps in your decision process. 

As a final word, some people, like myself, used to misunderstand the concept of matching screen to printer, that one is not so much matching screen to printe, since this can not in reality be done 100% accurately, though this actually does happen for 95% of tones and colours, one is profiling for consistency between screen and printer, this subtle difference is very important.  Consistency means No dissappointment, and also means you know exactly which tones or colours need adjusting literally just before you print, which in reality are usually very very minor changes if you are perfectionist.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Thanks BofG and Chris,

Which of the ColorMunki models will profile monitor & printer? Which Datacolor models?

Will I wind up with 2 ICC's? 1 for the monitor and 1 for my printer/paper?

Chris: are you saying I can profile my monitor then send away for an ICC for my printer? My printer, Epson P400, came with a bunch of ICCs for different papers. Would the ICC they send me be better?

4 hours ago, Ken McKaba said:

Will I wind up with 2 ICC's? 1 for the monitor and 1 for my printer/paper?

The spectrophotometer (or spectrometer) is a device that you place over your screen.  When you click 'Go'' it analyses the RGB values and tones and white point of your monitor.  The software then loads this into your system and your screen will change from its manufacturer's default setting to a new setting which will always be more accurate according to your ambient light temperature in your room as well. Which is why you should never view a computer screen with the sunlight from a window in front or behind you for example, and try to keep the lighting in your room at a constant, this affects editing.  Your screen is now set for perfect viewing conditions provided that you always view your screen within roughly the same lighting environment as when you callibrated it.  This calibrated profile for your screen is automaticallyloaded into your computer hardrive and used as the new setting for how all colours and tones appear on your screen  You need do nothing further.   An ICC profile for paper is a profile which is selected in the PRINTER when you go to print.  It has nothing to do with the screen.

4 hours ago, Ken McKaba said:

Chris: are you saying I can profile my monitor then send away for an ICC for my printer? My printer, Epson P400, came with a bunch of ICCs for different papers. Would the ICC they send me be better?

As above, you set a consistent working condition for your monitor.  Not too bright, not too dark, RGB values nicely set so to speak.   Now, you contact a company that specifiaclly does ICC profiles for any paper you choose. Go to their website, download their required image, put this image into your chosen software, AfPhoto or photoshop for example, now you print that image WITHOUT colour management, you set all colour management policies to either off or None, you  print it, send it back to the company, they profile it with their expensive equipment, they then send you an email with a file that has an ICC extension.  You right click on this and load this into your computer, and the software and the printer will automatically have access to this ICC profile so that when you go to print you select this paper and not a generic profile that came with the printer.

On the matter of the profiles that came with the printer, these will be for Epson papers.  So no point in sending these away, epson's own icc profiles for this printer are good.  The only time you Definitely need to send away for a seperate ICC profile is for third party papers.  This is far more accurate than tryng to find one for a non-generic paper from epson's settings.

Callibratng a monitor for optimal viewing conditions and an ICC profile for a specific paper are two different things. My colours on my Laptop are so off and my tones are not that good, when I edit my photo in photoshop on my mac, I know it is how I want it.  When I transfer to afPub on my maccheesburger and onion windows laptop it looks such a mess, its embarrassing, but I send it to the printer in this horrible  messy condition Knowing that what prints out will be perfect, and it matches well with my apple screen.  I hope you understand and can work out why I am never dissappointed with my prints. :)

Thought I would give you this link, I do not know anything about "colourmonkey" except that it is very good and popular and reliable.  But I have used datacolour so it is my personal choice https://spyderx.datacolor.com/about-spyderx/

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hi Ken, it seems like x-rite have discontinued the colormunki photo, it's been replaced with the i1 Studio. From what I can see it's exactly the same thing. It will profile your screen and printer.

You will end up with at least 2 profiles - the monitor one and a printer profile (which can be used for soft-proofing as well as printing). Each different paper, or even different print settings on the same paper should be profiled separately.

There's quite a big jump in price from a display calibrator to the one that will also do the printer, so it's something to weigh up. The solution Chris mentioned might be more cost effective.

• 2 months later...

I borrowed a friend's x-rite i1 display and adjusted my monitor. It didn't change much, just slightly darker.

I am using the ICC profile that came with my printer for the paper i'm using: epson p400 and epson hot-press natural.

The colors and tone are still not coming out close to what i see on the display.

How do I get it right? There are multiple places where I can choose my printer's icc profile.

• I see the affinity photo menu option document/"assign icc profile".
  • I can create a soft-proof layer and choose the icc profile. (then turn it off before printing)
  • Also the print dialog "Color management" lets me choose an icc profile.

What should I do with all these?

Thanks!

Hi @Ken McKaba, I've found I get the best results doing the following:

1. Use a standard sRGB profile for the document (If you are simply opening photos then no need to touch this).

2. Use the soft proof adjustment layer with your desired paper profile. You are doing the correct thing turning this off prior to printing.

3. Use "printer manages colour" in the print dialogue. 

4. Set Windows colour management to apply your print profile:

Windows > Settings > Printers > Choose your printer > Properties > Colour Management > Select printer from list, choose add profile.

(The above might be a bit wrong as it's from memory, but the general gist is there).

You might have to dig around in your printer driver settings to see if it has colour options. In mine I had to set an option "ICM handled by host system". Essentially you want to disable any automatic colour handling on the printer.

Trying to use "application manages colour" from Affinity has never worked for me, which is why I'm using the convoluted Windows colour management approach.

Hope that helps.