You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No .afphoto files in Media Browser

Hi

I'm not sure how the Media Browser is supposed to work - but in "my" Media Browser I can not see any afphoto files. I have dragged a new folder (containing many images), but only psd, tiff and png are displayed.

On the latest (and greatest!) beta.

/ Magnus

Do you mean that the afphoto images do not show up at all? Or that they do not show a preview?

On my system (MBP, Yosemite) they show up, but have a blank preview. That issue had been reported some time ago, but if they are not showing up at all, that would seem to be a new issue as I have not seen it.

post-5675-0-87409800-1434024299_thumb.jpg

@Magnus_vb

The browser is a nice idea that needs some work ...  

I have posted a couple of times that the list includes my Aperture library but won't open it, and have the same experience as Mike re .afphoto files - they come up in the browser window as a blank thumbnail but do open when clicked.  Which is all very well if you only have a few and remember their names but not much use if you have lots of them.

The media browser bug is an area where the normal fantastic responsiveness of the AP team seems to be missing - the latest response was "No updates as of yet, perhaps one of the devs will post more info when ready" which is not really a response - I'd have been happier with a "we are aware of this but it is not a priority at this time as we are working hard to get the release version ready" or "we have looked at this but have not been able to replicate it", or at least something to qualify the "perhaps" and "when ready".

(And if the reason is indeed that it is not a priority, that's fine for me as there are other ways to locate and open files, just please let us know).

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

It's the same issue on my iMac with the latest Yosemite. afphoto files does not show up at all.

That seems a bit odd to me as I would have thought that the issue was the OS, not the hardware that the app is running on. Clearly there is something going on here beyond just the OS version.

@Magnus_vb

The browser is a nice idea that needs some work ...  

I have posted a couple of times that the list includes my Aperture library but won't open it, and have the same experience as Mike re .afphoto files - they come up in the browser window as a blank thumbnail but do open when clicked.  Which is all very well if you only have a few and remember their names but not much use if you have lots of them.

The media browser bug is an area where the normal fantastic responsiveness of the AP team seems to be missing - the latest response was "No updates as of yet, perhaps one of the devs will post more info when ready" which is not really a response - I'd have been happier with a "we are aware of this but it is not a priority at this time as we are working hard to get the release version ready" or "we have looked at this but have not been able to replicate it", or at least something to qualify the "perhaps" and "when ready".

(And if the reason is indeed that it is not a priority, that's fine for me as there are other ways to locate and open files, just please let us know).

I completely agree with all that you have said.

I would like to be able to use the Media Browser the same way I used to use Adobe's Bridge, but it just is not ready yet. I am assuming that the developers are concentrating their time and effort on those parts of the product that they feel are essential to the release version, and I am OK with that. I am anxious to help to get this software to a state where it can be released and I can buy it, feeling that they will address the shortcomings as they have time. Still, as you say, it would be nice to have them say so.

Then, of course, there is the constant drumbeat of new OS releases and the work that must go into the product to make it compatible. El Capitan will be coming out soon and I wonder how much effort will have to go into making APB compatible with it. Apparently CaptureOne will not even launch under the Beta of El Capitan.

I have seen one new product that ended up going down the tubes and never being released because the developers could not keep up with the latest Windows versions and OS service packs. The team, which had an 18 month release window, still had not released after 36 months and the company just shut them down. Fortunately for me I was watching this from across the room, working on a completely different product ... As they used to say where I worked, "Given enough time nothing would ever be released".

I am assuming that the developers are concentrating their time and effort on those parts of the product that they feel are essential to the release version, and I am OK with that. I am anxious to help to get this software to a state where it can be released and I can buy it, feeling that they will address the shortcomings as they have time. 

I agree on that.

Was mostly curious how the Media Browser worked.  ^_^ It have a low priority for me. But when released, I want a full fledging DAM  :D

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.