You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshops file prefers affinity publisher

Hello,

when I'm uploading RAW- images to my desktop, affinity publisher is taking over!

In the file-info it says ' open with affinity publ. instead of what I'm having for many years adobe photoshop. This is since the latest update of publisher.

This is annoying enough but now something even stranger happend: I was just dragging a photoshop file to another folder and it automaticly changed from the preferred opening in photoshop to opening A. publisher! How to avoid this? Please help!

Thank you very much.

Affinity Publisher has not 'taken over' anything. It just became the default app for opening files of some RAW format file type, possibly because no app was previously assigned as the default for that specific file type.

It is easy to change the default app for any file type but since the procedure is slightly different for different OS's, you need to say which one you are using for help with that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for your quick reply R C-R . I work with OS X 10.13.6 and on another computer 10.10.5.

I normally change the default app through apple-i and then 'open with'. But this is different because it is already a psb-file and has been used by photoshop before.

I made a desktop image where you can see that the default app is photoshop (photoshop again, because i changed it back)  At the upper left corner you will still find the affinity logo.

The second screenshot shows the info of a raw file. Before I was using affinity, my files had always automatically photoshop as a default. 

Since I have thousands and thousands of photoshop images and I'm constantly uploading new Raw files, I don‘t want to change every time the default back by hand. Then I rather delete affinity.

I really appreciate your help, thank you.

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

3 hours ago, weiter said:

Since I have thousands and thousands of photoshop images and I'm constantly uploading new Raw files, I don‘t want to change every time the default back by hand.

The usual way to set the default app for all files of a specific file type/extension is to select one file of that type, open the Get Info window, select the app you want to be the default in the dropdown list in the "Open with:" section, & then click the "Change All..." button. This should produce an 'are you sure?' confirmation warning. If confirmed, all files of that file type should be set to use that app as the default.

If, like in your first screenshot, the icon is wrong but "Open with:" shows the desired default app, first just try double-clicking on the file in Finder to see if it in fact opens with the expected app. If it does, then logging out of & then back into your user account, quitting & restarting Finder, or restarting your Mac may fix the icon issue.

If instead the wrong app opens the file, or the suggested fixes above don't work, then the Launch Services database on your Mac may need to be rebuilt. As mentioned in this article, the safest & easiest way to do this is with a utility like Onyx; otherwise, you will have to use a Terminal command & figure out which form of the command to use (not generally recommended). FWIW, on older Mac OS versions I have used both Onyx & the Terminal to fix this kind of problem, but I have never needed to use it on El Capitan or later, probably because System Integrity Protection ("SIP") has been very effective in preventing damage to the database.

Unfortunately, to complicate things even more, as mentioned in the 5th comment of the comments section of the article, some versions of Photoshop may have a problem with Launch Services, but I don't know which one(s) might or if there has been a fix issued for that. Yet another possible complication has to do with items stored in the cloud, so the "Where" info should be considered when troubleshooting this issue.

Hopefully, one of the simple fixes will work for you. If not, it might be best to ask for advice on one of the Mac support forums like Apple's because this is not really an Affinity issue.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7