You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you use adjustment layers with layer masks?

I am using version 1.7 of Affinity Photo.

When I make a selection on the background layer and then click onthe mask icon a mask layer is create. The issue that I am having is that when I then try to add an adjustment layer to the mask layer the adjustment layer does not work on the mask layer.

So, for example, in my work flow I will use levels of curves on a mask layer, but I can't. I thought it was a case of simply dragging the adjustment layer to the right side of the mask layer icon,

which would then create a child layer of the mask layer? The adjustments work on the background (main) layer but apparently not on the mask layer?

How would you apply levels or curves to a mask layer?

Thanks

Stoosh

adjust-mask1.jpg

adjust-mask2.jpg

6 hours ago, stoosh said:

How would you apply levels or curves to a mask layer?

Hi Stoosh, drag the mask out, offer the levels layer to the mask thumbnail, in the levels layer change from master to alpha. Drag the mask back in to the background layer. When the mask is nested you can not access the levels layer, the mask will need dragging out to make adjustments. I know this is a bit of a pain and I am hoping that this will be improved in the future.

Edit: You will need the mask above the layer you need it for so that you can see the effect of the levels adjustments. 

Edited by Murfee
Added comment

Just now, stoosh said:

Thanks Murfee, your advice works. I have one more question regarding how to use Dodge and Burn tools on a mask layer which I will ask as a separate post.

Thanks again

Stoosh

They don’t work Stoosh:( requests have been made in the forums, I am also waiting for the implementation