You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Usefulness of Apple Pencil for Affinity Photo

I am considering upgrading my old iPad Air 2 to an iPad pro 12.9, and possibly a getting a second generation Apple pencil.  What is the experience of the community in using the Apple pencil (2) for Affinity Photo?  Does it integrate well with the app, what do you use it for, and what tips could you give a newbie?  I have looked through help and the tutorials, which gives me some idea, but I suspect there is much more that would help a new user get the best out of this hardware - software combination.  And a Nikon 810.

3 hours ago, SimonAM said:

I am considering upgrading my old iPad Air 2 to an iPad pro 12.9, and possibly a getting a second generation Apple pencil.  What is the experience of the community in using the Apple pencil (2) for Affinity Photo?  Does it integrate well with the app, what do you use it for, and what tips could you give a newbie?  I have looked through help and the tutorials, which gives me some idea, but I suspect there is much more that would help a new user get the best out of this hardware - software combination.  And a Nikon 810.

This is a no brainier, I only have original 9.7” iPad Pro plus mark 1 Apple Pencil. The pencil works great with Affinity, definitely get it if you can afford it.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Exactly what our buddy, @Paul Mudditt said. I also have an older generation iPad Pro and older Pencil. I love it.

While you can get by on an iPad without the Pencil, these Affinity apps take on new dimensions when used with the Pencil. 

If you want to try it for a while without the Pencil, you will likely find yourself making heavy use of the Transform Studio tools to move, resize, and shear your objects. It works, but the Pencil makes everything more immediate and tactile.

I have the version 1 pencil. If you do any type of detailed retouching to your pics think of the pencil as a Wacom pad and without it it is like using the mouse. It can be done but it is difficult. Also the pencil allows you to reach across the screen and tap icons/tools with more precision than your finger.