You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been using Adobe products since there coming into existence way back before Altus owned Page Maker. I currently use Photoshop for one main task. That is for enhancing title text for keynote / Power Point Titles. I type the text in Photoshop then apply a style or make a new style. I have a transparent background. I then crop as needed and save the results as a png. 

Some time I use a photoshop action to apply text enhancements. 

What Affinity product can I do that with and what would the work flow to do that look like?  Is there anyway even to load anyone of the thousands of Text enhanced files I have in photoshop format and change the text, color etc.? What about Photoshop actions? I know I might be asking for too much here. Would love to get away from subscription based software this is a current snag being able to cut the cord.

Dr. Mike Hughes, Minister

Any of the Affinity applications should be able to open your .psd files and make further edits to the text. However, they cannot save (Export) a .psd file with editable text.

None of them can make use of PhotoShop actions.

What do you mean by using an action to apply text enhancements? What kind of enhancements? I don't understand that so I can't comment on whether something might exist for doing that in Affinity natively, though I suspect the answer will be no. Only Photo has macros (the closest to an Photoshop Action, I think) and I'm not sure what text manipulation capabilities they might have.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt.

i have used and taught Adobe Creative Suite for the past 25+ years. I hate when they went subscription and refuse to pay monthly to use software. So have been looking for replacements ever since. Maybe Affinity will be just that. Price is right any way.

Dr.Mike Hughes

8 hours ago, macmikeal said:

Photoshop Actions are equivalent to macros in other programs. Photoshop actions have extension atm. I use action there for making Pngs that look like a box, box, etc. also does Designer do smart objects?

Designer doesn't do macros at all. Nor plugins.

When you ask about smart objects, Designer certainly can't handle PS smart objects. But depending on what you mean by "smart object" and what functions of them are important, the Affinity equivalent might be embedding another .afdesign or .afphoto or .afpub file within a Designer file. (I don't "do" PS so I can't offer any real advice in that area.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have used PS, AI and Page Maker / Indesign since the 80’s. Taught it at one Community College and 2 Universities. I know I still have to buy my coffee. I never thought I would be leaving Adobe, but with subscription plan and not working in the education field any more i can’t afford the subscription any more. I have the CS6 Suite still works on my 2012 iMac but I know next computer and Mac OS upgrade will force me into 64 bit and CS 6 will cease working. So I have been searching for replacements. I am watching a Udemy course on Designer to try and learn equal ways of doing things I am use to in CS6.

Mike Hughes, D.Min., Th.D., Ph.D.