You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Selective Color Adjustment" vs. "Legacy Selective Color Adjustment"

Hi!

I'm afraid I found a compatibilty issue in APhoto between older projects and the current version 1.7.1.404.
I initially saw it in the official previous version 1.7.0. I currently can't say if it had been there in the 1.6.x versions but I suppose no.

The issue is about the rewritten "Selective Color Adjustment" feature, and its compatibilty towards the legacy adjustment.

I discovered it by working with one of the resources from the Affinity Photo Workbook (german version) - Chapter 3 - Peak Country 1: Mam Tor
Resource: https://affin.co/mamtorDE

Reproduce:

1. open the project from the resource
  2. select the (Legacy Selective Color Adjustment) layer and open its settings
  3. now change a parameter back and forth (I did it with the "relative" setting, but it's also reproducible with the color percentage values)
    1. the layer will change its label to (Selective Color Adjustment)
    2.  an "Assistant" hint will be shown
    3. the picture will now look different
  4.  you can compare the colors of the two different developement styles best by switching between the last two entries in the history

I have no own projects that use this adjustment, so I can't validate this with other projects.

But if it's reproducible with other user's projects as well, I suppose that this behaviour might not be wanted by users that update their projects to the current version. As soon as changes are made in the Legacy Selective Color Adjustment the look of the picture is different than before.

3 different result after change param back and forth.PNG

2 modify setting in Selective Color.PNG

1 init situation.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey gitarrenmann,

We added the legacy feature so you could safely open older documents if you needed to resize the document for reprints or make new adjustments. However adjusting any of the old legacy adjustments will update it to use the new ones. So this is by design. The toast should also make it clear that this has happened.

There is currently a bug where opening a document with legacy adjustments and saving it will also update the adjustments to the new ones. This has already been fixed internally and will need some testing.