You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I downloaded some days ago this program. I need an information. I created two files and then I saved them in jpeg format and in .psd. Now I don't know why i cannot find the original affinity file (don't know with which extension is saved) and i cannot open the .psd file too...

do you have any idea?

thanks

marco

• Staff

Hi Marco,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Affinity Designer extension is  .afdesign. Have you checked File ▹ Open Recent from the menu?

You may have simply rewritten the original files if you opened them directly with File ▹ Open and then just saved them with File ▹ Save.

To save them as an .afdesign file you must use Save As. To save in another format you must use File ▹ Export.

Can you post the PSD file so we can take a look why it's not opening?

HI Moderator...thanks for your answer.

I also tried with open recent but nothing....is strange that i made the same mistake with two different files...Hope don't have to make it again from the beginning :(

So ... if I use SAVE AS...automatically it saves in afdesign format right?

I didn't tell you that i'm now in Trial Version of Affinity...may be is for this reason....what does the Trial Mode offer ?

• Staff

The trial is limited to 10 days of use. There is no other restrictions. You can save files with it.

To save your project/work as an Affinity file (.afdesign), you will have to do a Save As and give it a file name. From that point a simple Save will rewrite that file.

Any files you create from scratch in Affinity Designer going to File ▹ New will also be saved as an Affinity Designer file (.afdesign) no matter if you do a Save or a Save As the first time you save them. You will have to give the file a name and from that point on doing a Save is enough and will rewrite the file.

The only situation where you have to be careful is when you open an existing file in a generic format like JPG or PNG. If you go to File ▹ Save it will rewrite that file in the same format it was originally, with the changes you made. I believe this is what happened to you and the reason why you don't have an .afdesign file anywhere.

If you try to open the original files you used, they probably contain the changes you have made to them.

ok..I really don't know where my original files finished...:(

the only way is to open the .psd version. But for the moment affinity doen's open it.....eventually, i can open it on photoshop and then export in another format tha can be opened in affinity?

• Staff

We have been on holiday.  Will take a look at the file now.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

OK - there was a minor bug in our PSD exporter related to Inner Glow layer effects. You should still be able to open the file in Photoshop and re-save it as a new PSD.  Just tell Photoshop to continue when it encounters the error and everything else in the file should load ok.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

OK - there was a minor bug in our PSD exporter related to Inner Glow layer effects. You should still be able to open the file in Photoshop and re-save it as a new PSD.  Just tell Photoshop to continue when it encounters the error and everything else in the file should load ok.

Hi thanks for your answer...I tried with Photoshop CS6 but it cannot open the file ....

• Staff

It does open in CC or CC 2014, after you tell it to ignore the error.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 8 months later...

I have a .psd file that simply causes both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo to crash out. Is there anything I can use to convert it? Can I send it to technical support either to assist me or, more likely, to assist you with improving the importing process?