You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Live Clarity filter in Ver. 1.7 vs. Ver 1.6

In AP Version 1.6, the Live Clarity filter uses a Radius slider calibrated in pixels. In contrast, in AP Version 1.7 the Live Clarity filter uses a Strength slider calibrated in %. 

1.) What, if any, is the relationship or mathematical equivalence between the Radius slider in Version 1.6 and the Strength slider in Version 1.7? Does the Live Clarity filter in Version 1.7 work on a different principle than the one in Version 1.6? I did not see this difference mentioned in the new video tutorial on Clarity at Affinity Photo - Clarity

2.) Using AP Version 1.7, open an AP Version 1.6 document with an existing Live Clarity filter. The Live Clarity filter will display a Radius slider calibrated in pixels, just as it did when saved in Version 1.6. Now add a second Live Clarity filter and it will display a Strength slider calibrated in %. Save the file, exit from AP, then relaunch AP and open the Version 1.7 document and it will still contain two different Live Clarity filters. How can there be two different Live Clarity filters working with two different sliders in the same document when one of those is not even available in Version 1.7?

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

I wonder if the two different Live Clarity filters should be labeled in a manner similar to the White Balance Adjustment.

When you use AP Ver 1.7 to open an AP Ver 1.6 afphoto file containing a White Balance adjustment layer, the layer will be labeled Legacy White Balance Adjustment. The next White Balance Adjustment using Ver 1.7 will be labeled simply White Balance Adjustment, thereby distinguishing the two different adjustment layer types from the two different AP versions. Perhaps the Live Clarity filters should be similarly labeled as Legacy Live Clarity.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

• Staff
On 6/10/2019 at 12:40 PM, Granddaddy said:

What, if any, is the relationship or mathematical equivalence between the Radius slider in Version 1.6 and the Strength slider in Version 1.7? Does the Live Clarity filter in Version 1.7 work on a different principle than the one in Version 1.6? I did not see this difference mentioned in the new video tutorial on Clarity at Affinity Photo - Clarity

It now uses the same method as the Clarity filter in the Develop persona, how that matches up with the old method in 1.6, i honestly don't know.

21 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

The next White Balance Adjustment using Ver 1.7 will be labeled simply White Balance Adjustment, thereby distinguishing the two different adjustment layer types from the two different AP versions. Perhaps the Live Clarity filters should be similarly labeled as Legacy Live Clarity.

You only see reference to a Legacy filter when you load a file that was created in 1.6.  If you add the clarity filter in 1.7 you get the new version.  The dev had to honor the settings from the previous live filters and decided to still load these but mark them as Legacy.  If you change the settings on the Legacy filter, they should then update to the 1.7 version

Note that the Live Clarity filter from Ver 1.6 is not labeled as Legacy when opened in Ver 1.7. The Ver 1.6 filter is calibrated in pixels. It stays calibrated in pixels even if you make changes to the slider. The document ends up having two different Live Clarity filters, one of which is not available in Ver 1.7.  One Live Clarity filter has a pixel slider and the other has a strength slider. The pixel slider Live Clarity filter (a legacy filter that is not labeled as such) does not get updated to the Ver 1.7 Live Clarity filter no matter what I do.