You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't import brushes in Affinity Photo 1.7.0 for Mac

I just updated Affinity Photo for Mac to 1.7.0 from App Store, downloaded INSKY Street Art Brushes from Affinity Store, I tried to import .afbrushes file from Brushes tab in Photo Persona, but Affinity Photo freezes (I can't do anything, the color wheel keeps spinning and nothing happens after minutes), I can only force quit to close Affinity Photo.

I tried to import other brushes already imported and correctly working, but it happens the same thing.

It seems that every time I try to import brushes Affinity Photo freezes.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB, MacOS Mojave 10.14.5

• Staff

Hi MikePJ,
Please do the following:
- go to:
/Users/{yourusername}/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/

- duplicate the file raster_brushes.propcol you will find there (to back it up): "copy" will be appended to the file name - leave it like so.

- then run Affinity Photo, go to Preferences, Miscellaneous section and click Reset Brushes

- try to import the INSKY Street Art Brushes again

Does it still freeze Affinity when importing?

Dear MEB,
thank you very much, it worked, after resetting brushes I can import any brush file again.

The only annoying thing is that I have to re-import all brushes imported in Affinity Photo 1.6.7 (They are a lot)

• Staff

Hi MikePJ,
Thanks for getting back to me. Do you mind uploading your old raster_brushes.propcol file (the one you duplicated for backup purposes) so we can check it out please? Maybe it's possible to recover it (in case it's corrupted) or at least discover what went wrong. You can use this link to send/upload it directly to us. Thank you.

Dear MEB,
I think I can't do that, the file it's 19,02 GB, it would take a life to upload, sorry.

I renamed it raster_brushes.propcol and opened Affinity Photo to try to delete brushes and have a lighter file, all brushes are uploaded and can be used as usual, but it's impossible to delete a brush, if I try the program freezes.