You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fourth channel always alpha... why?

The fourth channel (in an RGB image) is always interpreted by Affinity Photo as an alpha channel.

Yes, this is the desired behavior, most of the time.

But alpha channels are simply additional channels that can be used for several tasks.

For example, when I output a render from a 3D app with depth information, the fourth channel can be that depth information. Other times, the fourth (fifth, sixth, etc) channel carries buffer ID information (object masks for being able to adjust individual objects).

I hope this default-to-fourth-mask-always-being-the-transparency changes when we get more features in the Channel floater. For example, as it is now, I can't delete the Alpha channel. Someone could say "Well, simply set it to all white".
But I want to keep it as an extra channel that I can resort to later... I just don't want it as a transparency channel.

This situation happened because I had a RGB image with the fourth channel as a depth map. So, I wanted to duplicate the channel #4 (the depth) to channel #5 and set the channel #4 to an all white channel.

That is sooooo easy to do in Photoshop.

I just hope it gets as easy to do in Affinity Photo also.

Big +1 here, I do game dev and we area always using Alpha channel for non-transparency information, being able to modify and manipulate each channel completely plus being able to use extra ones for temporary storage is still one of the reasons we struggle to move away from PS

• 4 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.