You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Path between merged shapes?

I try to create a triangle shape. To get a symmetrical shape, I started by creating the left half of the triangle. Then I duplicated it, reflected it vertically and aligned the two shapes. Then I used the "add" function to merge the two halfs into one. Now there is kind of a path between the two objects. If I try to round the corners both objects behave like individual shapes. Is there a way to merge them into one single object?

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-25 um 10.28.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-25 um 10.35.24.png

Hi, PLSNDL,

I'm assuming you have snapping turned on. It might help to start the construction w. a grid in place, and have snapping to that also turned on. No need to draw a complete triangle, just the bottom section, and the diagonal. Use the pen tool in polygon mode, and adjust the lines to arcs as you like. Duplicate the shape, flip, and slide to the side till you get snapping indicators. With both portions selected, switch to the node tool, and use the join curves widget. There will remain a red node dot, and if you zoom in on that, you will see that there actually 2 nodes on top of each other. You can slide the top on to the side. Slide it back over the lower node till it snaps, and marquee select both. Then use the close curve widget. Assuming you didn't happen to nudge the node after snapping, the two should fuse.

Note, the 1.7 beta works a little better w. node positioning, and other shape fine tuning, but I tried the above in both 1.6 & 1.7, and it worked OK.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Often it helps to zoom in and then perform some finer positioning (select and use the cursor left/right keys for a closer pixel wise positioning). - For symmetrical/mirror drawing the following template (which uses symbols) can be helpful.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2