You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing color of placed images

Hello!

I'm having trouble finding instructions for this. I am attempting to import or "place" simple black line art into my design and I'd like to change the color. I can't figure this one out...any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Which Affinity application are you using?

Do you have an example of the simple black line art that you could share to make sure we understand your needs?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

There may be a better way than this to do what I think you want, and I'm certainly not an expert.

But one method that seems to work is to use the menu File > Place to put your line art into a Designer document, then select the layer in the Layers panel, click the "fx" button at the bottom of the panel, and add a Color Overlay layer effect:

image.thumb.png.f18ed74440656c27a2b52f2c356c51b4.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If the placed file is a bitmap image, like the shown PNG above, rasterize it and switch over to the pixel persona. There double click on it's plxel layer thumbnail image in the layer panel to expand the placed bitmap, then choose a desired color and use the fill tool to color it to that choosen fill color.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There may be a better way than this to do what I think you want, and I'm certainly not an expert.

But one method that seems to work is to use the menu File > Place to put your line art into a Designer document, then select the layer in the Layers panel, click the "fx" button at the bottom of the panel, and add a Color Overlay layer effect:

image.thumb.png.f18ed74440656c27a2b52f2c356c51b4.png

Thanks walt.farrell! It worked beautifully. This method will work fine for web based images. I am also using images like this for print on demand products. I'm not sure if an "overlay" of color will be an issue when the file is read for printing....I'll request a sample to check it out. Thanks so much!

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

rasterize it and switch over to the pixel persona.

Thanks v_kyr for your time! I'm new to the forum AND Afinity Designer, SO I'll have to figure out the steps for doing the above....   :-0

Thanks a bunch Walt. It worked beautifully following your instructions. This will be perfect for web-base images. I use some for print on demand products, so I'll have to see if a color "overlay" issue will somehow affect how the file is read...  I send for a sample to test it out. I appreciate your time!