You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move tool to Node tool change transition is hurting usability

Version: 1.6.5.123
Platform: Windows

Reproduction:

1. Select the Move Tool

2. Double click any polygon or polygon converted to curves, and observe that the object is selected

3. Double click that object again, and observe that your selection tool has automatically changed from Move tool to the Node tool (very convenient)

4. Edit the selected polygon by moving nodes...or just stare at it

5. Click away from the selected object to deselect, and observe that your selection tool has not automatically changed back to the move tool (very inconvenient)

Why this is a problem: Usability.  By not returning back to the selection tool after editing an object, I have to manually change back.  This has an incredible impact on slowing my workflow in affinity.

Suggestion: If my selection tool is automatically changed on selection of an object, my selection tool should be automatically reverted back on deselection (or selection of another object).

The same applies to the text tools as well.

Please fix this core functionality.  I work in affinity all day and this is driving me insane :49_triumph:.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, FEAST` said:

5. Click away from the selected object to deselect, and observe that your selection tool has not automatically changed back to the move tool (very inconvenient)

I don't know if it's different on the Windows end, but using Mac, you can still switch back to the Move Tool from the Node Tool.

Node Tool: Double clicking away from objects switches to the Move Tool.

Move Tool: Double clicking on objects switches to the Node Tool.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks for the tip - I will use that as a work around for now, however I still believe there is an improvement to be made here:

After automatically switching into the node tool, double clicking away on pc does switch back to the move tool.  This is however, less intuitive than a single click and I will tell you why:

I would like it to switch back to the move tool on deselection - which is only one click (considering that the intention was only to use node tool on that particular shape - not to be permanently in node tool).  The same is true of the text tool. 

When double clicking in, the intention is essentially always to temporarily use a special tool to edit that shape (while selection is active), and therefore, single clicking away to deselect the object should also revert back to the previous tool (move tool).