You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

We may have discrete Sections available as Fields but running footers/headers making use of specific paragraph types (i.e. Heading 1, which might have Flow break to the top of the next page). Ideally, we could configure which paragraph styles are accessible in View > Studio > Fields.

My suggestion would be to have it user-configurable from right-click the "Edit <Paragraph Style>"

Paragraph > Field Options

• Available as Field?
  • First or last available?
  • On Page or Spread? (see relevance of first/last in previous question)

This would make for some really robust footer/headers on master pages, esp. in education or technical materials with dense, structure order to their contents, allowing us to guide the read through. The Field referencing the other Paragraph style occurring in the main document could be styled by any existing paragraph style as expected.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm trying to set up master pages for an anthology.

I need to set up different headers for left and right pages.

Left header: The name of the author of the chapter.

Right header: The chapter title

The author name is in a paragraph with an Author paragraph tag.

The chapter title is tagged with a Chapter Title paragraph tag.

This is a pretty basic setup, and it drives me nuts that Affinity Publisher can't handle it.

I understand that Publisher is currently targeted at short documents, like brochures, but if you list must-haves for longer documents, it's actually a very short list:

• Fields showing text in most recent paragraph with a specified tag (Yes, FrameMaker handles that too.)
  • Cross-Reference support a lá FrameMaker

Lack of the two functions above are the only show-stoppers for simple book layouts. Of course, an almost-necessary-to-have list would be much, much longer, but for the time being, I can do without that, if I could get the two functions listed above.

So close, and yet, so far away.