You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

crashing when focus merging!

hi folk just a quick note to say am getting problems when focus merging using a 27 images! 

if I go back to the none beta it works fine.

is there a max number of frames that affinity will stack?

I have included a screen shot of what happens it just says like that and as you can see from activity monitor 

there isn't much happening behind the screen!

I have to force quit it to close it down.

hope this helps :)

Screenshot 2019-01-31 at 20.46.43.png

• Staff

Hi dublbutted,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind providing a dropbox or other cloud service link from where we can download all the 27 images to check this out? If you don't want to post the link publicly, use the Hide button on the bottom of the reply input box to hide the post with the link. We are still able to see it. Thanks.

Hi Meb :)

thanks for your reply,

I had a brain wave and checked the performance settings, and the ram usage slider was near the bottom 

so I turned it up full and re ran the focus merge and it worked !! BUT I thought it seemed slower than affinity photo 1.67

so I did some tests, ran the focus merge on the beta with metal hardware acceleration and it took 9.03 mins

beta with hardware acceleration and use only internal gpu for display, took 9.47mins

beta with hardware acceleration turned off and internal gnu only turned on, took 7.46mins

then I ran affinity photo 1.67 with ram turned up to the same as the beta running open gl 

and it took only 7.29 mins

my file sizes are from a 36 megabit camera so are very big around 44mb

so I understand why it takes the time it does! I only have 8 gig of ram installed in my iMac and have noticed in activity monitor that it says its using up to 13.59 gb of ram when stacking !

so I may purchase another 8 gig of ram and see if there is any increase in speed?

it may be worth setting the default ram usage to higher so to get over the stall when stacking?

hope this helps?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.