You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scrubbing over numeric entry boxes...

A popular option in a lot of 3D software these days (the better packages, anyway) is the ability to drag left/right on a box in which numeric entry happens, making it fast to increase or decrease the value. Adobe haven't yet figured out this would be helpful, so it'd be great to see this happen in Affinity! Sometimes they also have a modifier key or two to allow the scrubbing to either more slowly change the values or increase it by a lot more. This would be really helpful when increasing the size of text in a text box, which can't be scaled via some handles, like the art text.

I think the numeric boxes need a bit of work anyway - clicking just once into them should IMHO preselect the number (but not the unit), so that you can start typing a new value at once. As it is now, you have to doubleclick on the number. Some might disagree, though, since the current way is the standard OSX behavior.

Scrubbing would be nice, but only with some modifier key, since otherwise it would take away the standard behavior of selecting text by dragging over it. Or an extra icon (up/down arrow) next to the number field that is used as an "anchor" for scrubbing - this wouldn't need a modifier and could use the other modifier keys as described by you.

I completely agree! The standard OSX interaction method should move aside to make way for what you've suggested, Achim63. It'd be far more efficient. As for the scrubbing, a side icon would work, but if implemented correctly you can have the best of both worlds- a click to select the value and a click-hold to scrub. And of course, the behaviour should be application wide.

Any thoughts on this, Serif? :)

Yes, this is greatly needed. As it stands currently, some numerical fields allow you to increase/decrease the value using your mouse wheel, but in my opinion it's a half baked implementation as incrementing the value is a slow process, even with the shift key modifier. I would also add that those of us who use a Wacom stylus are out of luck as there is no mouse wheel on a pen. As @r10k mentioned, most 3d packages handle this nicely(i.e. Maya/Blender) as well as Sketch and Photoshop.

Hopefully the Affinity team will re-consider the current implementation for a click-and-drag approach as you would be able to increment values more rapidly and with greater control. We Wacom users would also be very happy. :)