You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[APh, win7] Color Management - refresh my memory

Hi,

once I set up my old PC for rather okish results regarding colors, but now I need to redo this whole procedure and I'm a bit lost (I forgot).

If I have a monitor profile and I intend to export for web (sRGB).

Which (sRGB OR display) profile should be used where:

1. In the windows settings (control panel -> color management -> devices, added to the proper display)

2. In the image itself? (Document -> Assign ICC or Document -> Convert ICC)

3. When exporting?  I should probably set ICC profile to sRGB (I don't intend to attach the profile, and I assume it converts the image, so it should looks the 'same-ish' as on my display but in 'perfect' sRGB space).

Please advice.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

1. Your monitor profile, if you have one for that device or you do calibrate it on your own.
    See also:
    - How to find the right color profile for your monitor using Windows 10
    -
    How to correctly install and assign monitor color profiles in Windows 10
  2. The document profile, aka your document working color space sRGB, Adobe RGB ...
  3. If you export a document with an embedded profile then use sRGB as an icc profile, if you do export without an embedded icc profile the default OS one is used on other machines, which usually is sRGB here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Many Thanks :D

Regarding 3. If I'm exporting w/o embedded icc profile, does it matter which profile do I choose for output?

Also, 4. With APh (or windows) I got "sRGB IEC 61966-2.1", "sRGB built-in", "wsRGB" and "wscRGB". Which should I use?

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

3. If the document working profile is not sRGB and instead let's say Adobe RGB but on export you use the "use document profile" setting without embedding the profile, it might be later that colors are not exactly shown the way they are shown inside of APh here, since the OS (or other apps) in turn might try to show up the Adobe RGB color space document/image for the sRGB color space then. Since Adobe RGB for example has a wider gamut (color space) as sRGB here, colors will then be mapped from the bigger one to the lower one, but Adobe RGB offers some color nuances which sRGB doesn't have/offer so the coloring might vary here then in contrast, depending on used colors in the working document.

If you want to be on the secure side here, use sRGB since it's the lowest common denominator in terms of used color space everywhere.

4. There are usually many different used naming conventions for sRGB icc profiles, which might be all nearly the same or at least similar. However in/for APh the supplied sRGB one is named "sRGB IEC 61966-2.1", you can usually also see this inside APh, if this naming is used as their default associated color profile naming here, since it will be shown on the top controll panel settings above file names.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2