You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving objects in Designer a certain distance and making objects of a certain size.

Hello,

I am an Adobe Illustrator user and I am slowly moving to designer the last couple weeks. I use designer mainly for advertisements, business card, letterhead paper, etc. for the business.  
I have a very simple question. If I want to move an object in Illustrator, I hit the Enter key, enter for example 12 mm horizontally and 12 mm vertically and the object moves 12 mm to the right en 12 mm to the bottom. I use this function a lot and I can not figure out how to this with Designer. 

Next problem is in the same range. When I pick the square tool in Illustrator I click with the left mouse button 1 time somewhere in the screen and it asks me what the width and the height of the square has to be. In Designer I do not know how to do this. At this moment I first draw a square with my mouse and after that I correct the size for the square with the transform tool in the lower right part of the screen. I think there must be an easier way to do this.

Who can help me out?

With kind regards,

Thijs Helmers

I just found something out. If you want to move an object for a certain distance, you can go to the Transform box in the bottom right part of the screen. If the object is for example X 10,772 mm and Y also 10,772 mm from the top left of the page. You can move it by 10mm by adding '+ 10mm' behind the value. It will add the new value to the old value. The new value will be 20,772mm. Still a hassle if you ask me, but it works. Would like to have the enter key option like illustrator.

• Staff

Hi Thijs Helmers,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Regarding your first point you already discover the answer - you have to to use the Transform panel to move/transform the objects precisely. Note you can also use expressions in the input fields - for example adding *50% to the width (or height/whatever) will reduce it to half the size. Check this help topic for more information about expressions for field input.

Regarding the second question, there's no way to do this in Designer (click and enter dimensions to create a square/rectangle with those dimensions). I suggest you create a thread for it in the Suggestions for Affinity Designer on Desktop section.