You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

editing affinity-exported .eps files in adobe illustrator

I exported an affinity file (from my ipad) as an eps format and opened it in Illustrator to edit it. But the lines that I created in Affinity are no longer just line paths with nodes along a single path, but actually more like shapes in Illustrator. That is, Illustrator created an outline of the path I'd created in Affinity, with hundreds of tiny nodes, making it difficult to edit. Is there a way to preserve the original Affinity path and its nodes exactly when exporting as eps to Illustrator? I've attached the file here.

Just FYI, I drew the lines using an Apple Pencil, and the vector brush tool. It's my first day trying Affinity Design and am just testing out its capabilities with simple text.

Thanks for any advice you have on this. I'd really like to be able to continue editing the Affinity-generated eps files in Illustrator.

figs-1 copy 3.eps

• Staff

Hi periwinkle77 and Welcome to the Forums,

This can happen for a number of reasons.  Basically expand stroke is being used on export to account for some features not supported by EPS

If the stoke is set to inline or outline and not centred  Or a mitre join has been used, then this will happen.  It can also happen with Pressure Profiles as well.  Lastly it can happen when you've used a Textured line style and from looking at the EPS file you attached, i suspect that is where the extra nodes have come from.  If you set the Style to 'Solid Line Styling' make the same strokes (or if you have the .afdesign file for the EPS you attached, open this in Designer and select the curves and set 'Style' to solid line styling via the Stroke studio, you should then find this exports out without the extra nodes.