You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preserve 1bit bitmaps PDF?

For comic work it is absolutely essential to have the option in a layout application to overprint a 1bit 600ppi up to 1200ppi black ink layer over a 300ppi colour one.

I tested this today for the first time in Publisher. While it imports 1bit bitmaps fine, I could not get it to output to a PDF that retains the high resolution black ink layer nor have it overprint a 300ppi colour one. It will either downsample and rasterize the 1bit bitmap to a 300ppi greyscale one, or just display a grey rectangle when I force it not to rasterize anything. 

It might be that I am missing a setting, though. So how do I output a PDF with the 1bit 1200ppi ink bitmap overprinting the 300ppi colour work?

PS  InDesign automatically treats 1bit TIFF bitmaps as overprinting objects, and will retain the original's resolution. In both PhotoLine and Scribus I turn on Multiply blend mode for the 1bit bitmap tiff, and it will overprint and retain the original resolution. But this does not work in Publisher, which downsamples the ink work.