Fantail

Is it possible to erase a clipped layer using an erase layer?

Hi everyone!

In this file, so far I have been "drawing" the dragon using a layer mask. Now that the actual content is all on the layer mask, I wanted to edit the layer mask in a sort of non-destructive way. I wanted to add flowers and all kinds of patterns to the area outside of the dragon, but wasn't sure how to do that without having them all on the same layer mask. I don't want them on the same layer mask because in case I end up not liking the flowers and stuff, I'd have to retrace the whole outline of the dragon.

Then I thought of the great erase blend mode and wanted to use an erase layer to clear out flower patterns in the blue paint but instead it erases the vase under it as well.

Is my approach completely wrong? How should I proceed with what I have with as little extra work as possible? Is what I want to do possible in AP or should I make a feature request?

vase_mouse_painting.afphoto

Add another mask layer to the blue layer, like this

780088046_ScreenShot.png.2f5f7f93602884ec81065940d5055355.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

Your welcome, nice dragon work.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019