You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a macro: How do I Move or Delete a Mask Layer

I am working on a macro that creates a masked curves layer, but am stumped about how to do it cleanly.

My first try was to create the grayscale bitmap that was intended to become the mask and to execute Layer>Rasterize to Mask from the menu. Then I created the curves layer, but the macro system wouldn't let me move the mask under the curves layer.

So, I tried an alternate approach. I created the grayscale bitmap, used the menu to Layer>Rasterize to Mask, then used the menu to Select>Select From Layer. This loaded the bitmap as a selection. Then, when I created the curves layer, it automatically used the selection as a mask. So far, so good.

But now I had the mask layer still hanging around.  I could make it invisible, but attempts to delete it from within the macro capability silently failed. (There is no problem deleting it outside the macro.)

So, the macro has its intended effect, but executing the macro leaves this extra, no-longer-needed layer underneath the curves layer. Even if I rename it "delete me," it seems like there must be a better way.

Does anyone know how to solve this puzzle?

• Staff

Hi webb :)

I believe I've replicated your workflow in the video I've created below, once I created the curves adjustment then deselected the selection from layer, I was able to delete the no longer required mask layer. Is this what you were looking to do?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!