You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer>Export Slices, dimensions change!

I'm about to strap in for about 4-6 hours' worth of image preparation headed for the web.

I need the output graphics to be exactly, precisely the size I make them at, not a pixel or 3 more. Affinity Design still is changing dimensions on me!

I can understand if it's a text object, but the shapes I'll be working with today are squares.

Is there something I can do to get AD to keep the sizes of my shapes without my doing any goofy workarounds?

Else, exporting 1x, 2x, 3x, I will have a lot of very tedious cleanup to do..or find another workflow solution.

Thanks for any clues!

vcat

• Staff

How have you created your slices?  If you create slices directly, using the slice creation tool, they will be fixed at the size you make them.

If you create a slice from a layer in your document, it will track the size of that layer unless you manually set the slice rectangle.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 years later...

There are so many good things about Affinity Photo.  Then, you run into these silly little oversights.  The point of using slices is to be able to export a layer ... in my case the whole layer, not just a piece of it.  I want to export a .png, because there are areas on the layer that I want to be transparent.  But, if the graphics don't touch the extremities of the drawing, the slice is smaller than the whole page.  Going back and manually changing the size of the slice sort of defeats the purpose of using slices for bulk export.  Might was well export each layer manually.  A simple selection on creating slices or exporting entire layers (not slices) is really needed here.  I've got 60 layers to export - doing it in bulk and then manually changing the size of the slice is MORE WORK than manually exporting each layer by itself.  

So, the above makes me guilty of the same thing that I am criticizing here.  Not giving enough information.  Your response leaves users (relatively new ones) frustrated.  You could have, for example, given a simple solution that makes this whole thing MUCH EASIER with a simple work around.  Here is that work around:

1. Generate the slices of the objects (in my case there are 60, but in sets of 20 each of 3 differently sized objects of 3 different sizes).  
  2. I then select all of the slices of one of the objects.  
  3. I can resize all 20 of them by grabbing the corner handles and dragging them to the extent of the drawing - all 20 at one time.  
  4. Do it for each of the other 2 shapes.  
  5. So, in 3 actions instead of 60, I am able to get all slices to be exactly the same size - the size of the drawing and then, when I export them in bulk, the resulting .png files are all the same size.

It would have been so simple for the designer gods at Affinity to have simple provided an option for sizing slices - to that of the object on the layers or to that of the whole document, regardless of what is on the layers.  

• 3 years later...
On 11/9/2018 at 7:35 AM, PapaBear60 said:

There are so many good things about Affinity Photo.  Then, you run into these silly little oversights.  The point of using slices is to be able to export a layer ... in my case the whole layer, not just a piece of it.  I want to export a .png, because there are areas on the layer that I want to be transparent.  But, if the graphics don't touch the extremities of the drawing, the slice is smaller than the whole page.  Going back and manually changing the size of the slice sort of defeats the purpose of using slices for bulk export.  Might was well export each layer manually.  A simple selection on creating slices or exporting entire layers (not slices) is really needed here.  I've got 60 layers to export - doing it in bulk and then manually changing the size of the slice is MORE WORK than manually exporting each layer by itself.  

So, the above makes me guilty of the same thing that I am criticizing here.  Not giving enough information.  Your response leaves users (relatively new ones) frustrated.  You could have, for example, given a simple solution that makes this whole thing MUCH EASIER with a simple work around.  Here is that work around:

1. Generate the slices of the objects (in my case there are 60, but in sets of 20 each of 3 differently sized objects of 3 different sizes).  
  2. I then select all of the slices of one of the objects.  
  3. I can resize all 20 of them by grabbing the corner handles and dragging them to the extent of the drawing - all 20 at one time.  
  4. Do it for each of the other 2 shapes.  
  5. So, in 3 actions instead of 60, I am able to get all slices to be exactly the same size - the size of the drawing and then, when I export them in bulk, the resulting .png files are all the same size.

It would have been so simple for the designer gods at Affinity to have simple provided an option for sizing slices - to that of the object on the layers or to that of the whole document, regardless of what is on the layers.  

I can't believe they haven't even gotten back to you about fixing this. the more I search for it the more I see people asking about it and it just isn't a function yet. smh.