You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

missing Features?

Hi all,

As far as I can say, the following features are missing in all 3 Affinity Applications:

* restore Aspect-Ratio of a placed picture
* lock Aspect-Ratio of a placed image
* directly place an image inside a Polygon (instead of manually embedding it using the layers panel..)
* options to (automatically) resize/shrink the image to its surrounding Polygon.

kind regards
Fritz

22 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

* lock Aspect-Ratio of a placed image

I'm not sure why that's needed. By default, a placed image (assuming you are not placing it inside an object) will have its natural aspect ratio. That will only be lost if you resize it later in a way that intentionally changes the aspect ratio:

• cropping with a different aspect ratio
  • using the Transform panel after unlocking the ratio
  • resizing using the image control nodes either by dragging a corner node while holding the shift key, or dragging a top/bottom/side node while not holding the shift key.
  • if it's part of a group, resizing the group in a way that does not maintain the aspect ratios of the children

If you have specific examples of a case I haven't thought of, I'm always happy to learn more.

28 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

* directly place an image inside a Polygon (instead of manually embedding it using the layers panel..)
* options to (automatically) resize/shrink the image to its surrounding Polygon.

Publisher, now available in a 1.7 beta version, has two features that I think handle that for you:

• Any polygon can be converted to a Picture Frame (on the main menu via Layer > Convert to Picture Frame and the Place Image tool will put the image into that frame.
  • A Picture Frame will automatically resize an image placed into it in one of several "smart" ways. However, if an image is placed into a non-rectangular picture frame it may be cropped. There does not seem to be an option (right now) to make all of the image visible even if that means leaving part of the frame unfilled. (However, there is an acknowledged bug in one of the resizing options, so I'm not sure exactly how that one is supposed to work.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

True. But if you look you may notice that I did not comment on that one.

Though, thanks for reminding me that restoring the aspect can be done in a Picture Frame; I'd forgotten that. (However, some aspects of Picture Frames in Publisher are broken at the moment, and being fixed, so it's not clear how things will work when those fixes arrive.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

just double-click on the handles on the edges (not corners) to restore/adjust aspect-ratio.
(did not know that, sorry..)

I did not know that, either. Thanks for mentioning it.

-- Walt
PC: