You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixel Persona > Selection Brush — Missing Tolerance slider

In AD's Pixel Persona's Selection Brush tool, I cannot locate a Tolerance or Sensitivity slider to control how wide the selection can deviate from the sampled color... Without this slider, the tool looses much of it's functionality. Am I missing something here? 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

The tool doesn't have a tolerance as that's not how the algorithm works. Colour difference doesn't work well at all for selections so we use a very different method. 

You are better to use the brush and then un-brush the area to didn't want so it can learn. You can always turn off 'snap to edges' if you have a tricky section to select.

Hmm, I actually tried adding and subtracting from opposite sides of the edge I was trying to catch, but the selection kept hopping across the boundary. Perhaps my brush size was too large... I didn't try turning OFF Snap to Edges, as I was trying to get the tool to snap to an edge, lol... I will try it when I get a chance again. One question: How DOES the algorithm work? What situations is it best suited for?

UPDATE: a smaller brush size and adding and subtracting from selection along the edge I was trying to catch worked better this time around... thanks for the tip Tony!

The tool doesn't have a tolerance as that's not how the algorithm works. Colour difference doesn't work well at all for selections so we use a very different method. 

You are better to use the brush and then un-brush the area to didn't want so it can learn. You can always turn off 'snap to edges' if you have a tricky section to select.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.