You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert vector brushes to raster?

Hey there,

New here and to AFD ipad aswell.  

I’ve bought a brush set thinking it was a raster brush set and it’s a vector one.  I’ve seen that one can’t really sketch or paint in the same way you qould on pixel persona, with this kinda “circling effect” it does on stroke corners. So i was wondering if there’s a way to convert vector brushes to raster brushes so i could use them the same way i would in procreate. 

Looking at the pictures the author(Sav Scatola) of the set did with them, i can’t really understand how he did them....

http://boxy.co.uk/

thanks in advance!

vR

D77EF662-5367-441C-BA22-63141ED2E330.jpeg

• Staff

Hi VR_State,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
These brushes were developed for the vector based brush engine used the Affinity Designer (Draw Persona - Vector Brush Tool) however they are based on raster brush textures thus their organic appearance/look. What Affinity Designer is doing is stretching those textures along the stroke's path as you draw. The “circling effect” effect you mention in the corners is controlled by a setting of the brush called Corners (it can be set to Fold, Overlap or Pull) - select a brush and click the small white menu icon in front of the category dropdown in the Brushes panel, then look for it on the bottom right area. Each brush have this Corner setting set up according to what the creator intended to achieve a specific look on the corners.

The advantage of this vector based brush approach is that you can re-adjust the painted strokes even after drawing them by fine tuning the stroke's nodes position using the Node Tool or pressing and holding the ⌘ (cmd) key (CTRL if you are using Windows) while using the Vector Brush Tool. This is not possible with traditional raster based brushes where you have to undo the stroke and re-paint it again until you get it right. Sav Scatola also provided a video on how to use them - not sure if you already take a look at it - here's the link just in case.

There's no way to convert these vector based brushes to raster based ones for Pixel Persona unless you rebuilt them from scratch.

Hey!!! Thanks for the hints, reallly! I’ve been in contact via email with the author also, now i see, i understand now.

I’ll try this technique he’s using, something new to learn every day. 

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

VR