You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move tool not moving

I got Designer about a week ago and it seems that there is a very big issue with the move tool. It seems that unless I am very zoomed in, whichever object I decide to move doesn’t actually move. Instead, it seems to want to resize said object which makes it extremely frustrating. In fact, I have stopped using the app altogether for now until they fix it. Anyone else having this issue?

It is the same as in the desktop app: if your object is too small at the current zoom level there is no way for the app to tell if you want to move the object or resize it because the bounding box handles are too close together. Zooming in is the only way to avoid that, but at least in the iPad app that is very quick & easy to do with gestures.

An alternative that many apps use to avoid this issue is to have separate move & resize tools (& sometimes separate rotate & skew ones too), or mode switches that amount to the same thing. Affinity has opted to avoid that because together with an easy to use zoom feature it can result in a workflow that requires fewer tool changes.

BTW, if you have not yet discovered it, aside from using pinch/spread gestures to zoom, you can also scrub up & down on the Navigation Studio's icon to zoom in & out. The Navigation Studio does not need to be opened to use this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, hectord27 said:

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. Make a tool to move and another to resize. 

I have used several apps that do that but they all still require lots of zooming to get the precision I want, so I much prefer the Affinity approach of putting lots of functionality into one tool. At least for me, it ends up being a much faster & less mistake prone way to work, even though it took a while before zooming in & out became second nature, something I now do with almost no conscious thought.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7