You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

scanned genealogy documents

Scanned microfiche documents can be very noisy and generally a pita to process.

Can anyone suggest a workflow to process them to reveal the wanted information.

Preferably the written information with a light yellow background.

I have included a sample jpg file.

On the righthand page near the top is Elizabeth Rice 80 and at the bottom the family of Isaac Rice 55 with wife and 4 children.

0960_0156.jpg

• Staff

Hi jegog,
Welcome to the forums!

There are a few ways you can do this, I've attached a file below to show the effects I used to try and best bring out the text in your image.
I used a selective colour adjustment, changing to 'Whites' in the dropdown list then adjusting the colour and opacity until I was happy with the yellowish tint.
I then used a combination of a High Pass Filter with the blend mode set to overlay, as well as a brightness & contrast, shadows/highlights and levels adjustment to bring out the text. Hope this helps :)
Genealogy.thumb.jpg.6f9fff08c3e67b14c3fe0a171437c36d.jpg

Genealogy.afphoto

• Staff

If by 'banding' you are referring to the darker bands towards the lower half of the image, there is not much that can be done to eliminate these as they are part of the original scan and will only intensify as you turn up the contrast and high pass adjustments!