You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I’ve been having an issue with the way AF renders the colors in Canon CR2 files compared to Canon’s Digital Photo Professional. I have the tone curve turned off in the Develop Assistant and am using the Serif Labs RAW Engine. I’m using these settings to enable me to have lens correction since I’m using a Tamron lens which Canon’s DPP doesn’t support any corrections. And I can’t disable the initial tone curve in DPP which limits my dynamic range. I’ll attach screenshots of 2 images, one converted by Canon’s DPP, the other by Affinity Photo. You can see the obvious color shift, especially in the reds. When I put the eyedropper inside the zero of 750s on the side cover I get these values. DPP R=222, G=4, B=3. With AF I get R=188, G=0, B=24. I’ve tried using the Selective Color adjustment and can get the red close by setting the Red channel to Cyan=-100%, Yellow=+35% but the other colors are still off and difficult. Is there any way I can color match to the Canon DPP colors? They are accurate to real life.

Canon DPP.jpeg

Serif.jpeg

What specific Canon camera and Tamron lens do you have?

Have you tried using the Apple raw engine, rather than the Serif engine?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm using a Canon 6D with a Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC lens. I have tried the Apple RAW engine and it produces much better results, very close to the Canon DPP software. But for some reason it won't do any lens correction where the Serif RAW engine does. Not sure why. So I have to guess how much to move the distortion slider in the Develop persona. It would be nice of there were a drop down list there where you could select the lens and have it applied accurately. So I guess I'm better off using the Apple RAW engine and guessing at when the distortion is removed rather than have awful colors. Most of the time the distortion isn't extreme, some barrel at the wider ranges. I'm more worried about how the distortion will effect multi shot panorama stitching. Thanks for the response.