I often take some nice wildlife shots and am looking for advice on how I might improve them.

This is one of an Egret and whilst I like the subject I am not sure about the water definition.

And yes - I have just noticed the blue in the reed beds

Any advice would be much appreciated.  This is also a crop from a larger image so I do have more of the ripples

IMGP0368.jpg

Nice! That captures toe morning (or evening) reflections nicely

And the bird ... looks like an egret but is a bit bigger than our egrets

What time of day did you take this? I suspect early morning :)

Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 & beta 1.7.0.293 Affinity Photo 1.6.5,.135 beta  1.7.0.293 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png

Thanks Rick G

This is at Bowling Green Marshes (Exeter UK) about 9:30am but still good light.

And yes it is a Little Egret; we get a lot of them on the south coast now and not sure how they compare to the American ones

The posture would suggest that it was having difficulty extricating its foot from the substrate. I like the effect of the ripples on the water surface.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and Designer 1.6.5.123, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

16 minutes ago, Dr Astronomy said:

Thanks Rick G

This is at Bowling Green Marshes (Exeter UK) about 9:30am but still good light.

And yes it is a Little Egret; we get a lot of them on the south coast now and not sure how they compare to the American ones

They come in sizes but the most common around here seem a bit smaller than your picture. That could be an illusion too having to do with the angle of the shot. I am in Florida in the US and the old local name is "cow birds" The follow the cows around and whenever one "drops a load" they are on it xD I had a couple of shots of them nesting in  the branches of a fallen, dead tree for the evening

Your shot really captures the morning glow just before the day really opens for business

Thanks again

Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 & beta 1.7.0.293 Affinity Photo 1.6.5,.135 beta  1.7.0.293 Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.293

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1709

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png

47 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

The posture would suggest that it was having difficulty extricating its foot from the substrate. I like the effect of the ripples on the water surface.

John

Hadn't thought of it that way - LOL

It was originally walking right then as I pressed the shutter it turned to catch a fish.  Just a lucky shot.

I am going to re-work this one as the blue in the bushes isn't on the original image but has been introduced through 32bit processing.

Thanks again