You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a shape showing just the outline without using stroke

Sometimes when I do complex shapes I just want to keep the outline of the shape and make the center transparent. This is easy to do with the pen tool and then set a stroke, but when combining that shape with others, the stroke setting messes up the combined result. Is there a way to convert a shape using stroke to a line or something like that? Converting to curves does not seem to solve the problem. Another option would be to draw two shapes, one smaller than the other one and subtract the smaller from the bigger. But I have not found an easy way to get a smaller shape with the proper curve radius and other various settings to make this look good. Just shrinking the bigger one won't do it, it will make the diff between the two shapes vary in thickness.

The shape below is an example. How could you draw this without using stroke?

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 08.19.10.png

6 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

did you try to switch to outline view mode

I tried it now, not sure what to do with it. Does it not just show the outline of the shapes? o.O

I find this a bit hard to explain. Also I'm new to this kind of applications. I want to create a shape like the one above, where the line has the same thickness everywhere. The filling color should be in the line itself, not the area within the shape. If I duplicate the object and shrink it, the thinkness won't be the same (see below, the corners are way thicker). Otherwise subtracting the smaller from the bigger would solve my problem.

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 09.13.02.png

ok i think i misunderstood your question.

what you can do is to draw the outer shape and set the stroke to inside, if you want 2 sepperate shapes got to layer>expand stroke

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

8 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

ok i think i misunderstood your question.

what you can do is to draw the outer shape and set the stroke to inside, if you want 2 sepperate shapes got to layer>expand stroke

Perfect! Thanks!