You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help BEFORE Getting Started

I’m about to purchase Affinity Photo, so I’ve been going through many of the tutorials.  I’ve worked with just enough photo editing tools and other software that I feel really confident once I’m in that first raw file and ready to get to work on it.  BUT, there’s a huge gap before that point that I’m really uncomfortable with and looking for advice.

All the relevant tutorials start with some variation of ‘first, we open this file...’.  I need some help getting to that point, with what I think I have learned is ‘library management ‘.  Questions...

1) For years I’ve been working with Mac Photos, and iPhoto before it.  Last week I shot a bunch of photos in raw and imported them into Photos and Apple magically tucked them away somewhere on my computer (I don’t use the cloud).  Today, I want to open one of those raw files in Affinity and work on it.  Where would I find it on my computer?

2) Today, I go out and shoot a bunch of photos in raw on my dslr.  I want to develop and edit them in Affinity photo now.  Also, I’d LIKE to get away from using Mac Photos application.  What software do you use or recommend to get them off the camera, onto the Mac, and somehow organized before opening them in Affinity for the first time.

thanks in advance

Don't try to open any photos stored in an Apple Photos library from that library directly into Affinity Photo. Instead, do one of the following:

1. Use the Affinity Photo extension for Photos, which allows you to open the photo for editing in Photos & then choose "Edit in Affinity Photo" from the extension menu button

2. Browse through your Apple Photos library photos using the Affinity Photo View > Media Browser menu item

3. From the Affinity Photo > Open dialog, locate the "Media" item in the sidebar,  choose "Photos" indented below it, & browse through your Apple Photos library as in #2 above.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7