You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating an Object out of a selection?

Hi

From time to time I get pixel artwork that I need to print out as shaped stickers, The problem I have is when I select the artwork in the Pixel Persona how do I then create an Object out of that selection?

In Pixel Persona If I create a new layer and try to fill the selection with a solid colour using the fill bucket nothing happens, I can fill the selection with the Paint Brush though.

Over in the Draw Persona I can't fill the selection or give it a stoke to create an Object.

Is there a way to do this or is this a bug or feature not yet implemented?

I'm using the latest beta of Designer download today.

thanks

Adrian

In Pixel Persona If I create a new layer and try to fill the selection with a solid colour using the fill bucket nothing happens ...

Are you sure you have created a pixel layer (checkerboard-style document icon at the bottom of the Layers panel) and not a vector layer (solid-style icon)? You should be able to use the flood fill with selections on pixel layers ...

... I can fill the selection with the Paint Brush though.

I guess the Assistant has created a pixel layer for you ... all in all you have to keep pixel and vector work conceptually distinct  ... sorry for these somewhat sparse comments :( ... the in-app help is more detailed about this ...

EDIT Deleted the attachments due to upload limits.

In Affinity Photo you can use the Pen Tool to create a path and convert this to a selection. This does not seem to be implemented in Affinity Designer yet. But you can always create a vector path and clip your pixel object to this path. This is done by making the pixel object a child of the vector path in the Layers list ... I have made a screen cast showing the differences of layer clipping and layer masking some time ago. Please have a look here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4069-layer-clipping-vs-layer-masking/

In the first example (A) the pink rectangle is clipped to the boundaries (path) of the blue triangle. Hope this helps ...  :)