You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to read from camera directly into iPad

I'm not sure whether this is an Affinity Photo iPad bug/flaw, however, it's interesting to know anyhow.

Apple sells this 'USB-3 camera connect to Lightning' adapter (which has a power connection (Lightning as well) in case you would connect non-powered devices like an SD/CF card reader, or want to charge the iPad during import of files/images).
This adapter doesn't work when a (professional) camera with two card slots is connected. I.e. my Nikon D800 uses simultaneously an SD and a CF card slot. For immediate in-camera back-up, simultaneous RAW and jpg storage, or overflow purposes.

If such a camera is connected while both cards are in the camera, no images will be shown to import in the iOS Photo app (which open automatically on connect). Only grey squares can be seen, nothing able to do with. Once one of the cards has been removed from the camera it's fine. And if the dual slots are used to store a RAW image on one card and a jpg on the other, the jpg can be imported as well (not the RAW).

It took me ages, and lot's of time at the Apple Store who didn't know this as well, to solve this.

While I couldn't leave both cards in the camera on import anyhow, I changed the 'USB-3 camera connect to Lightning' adapter to the smaller 'SD card to Lightning' adapter. I have to take a card out from the camera anyhow. Which is a bit of a pity, while - as a conservative photographer - I prefer to use CF cards because of their higher rigidness over SD cards. I've broken many SD cards meanwhile, never one CF card. I now shoot RAW images on my SD card and use the CF card as in-camera (RA image as well) back-up ;)

Cheers, Gerard

Hi Gerard Nijenbrinks

Thanks for the information on this. We don't open images directly from a camera, they need to be imported into the Photos app first. From you description it seems like its the initial import into the Photos app that is causing some grief so I don't think this is anything Affinity side

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

5 hours ago, Chris_K said:

Hi Gerard Nijenbrinks

Thanks for the information on this. We don't open images directly from a camera, they need to be imported into the Photos app first. From you description it seems like its the initial import into the Photos app that is causing some grief so I don't think this is anything Affinity side

Thanks

Thanks for your response Chris,

I realized that as well. However, thought it would be useful information to mention here anyhow. For other people trying to connect a dual slot camera to their iPad (with the intention to import images for use with Affinity Photo).

Regards, Gerard