You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If you use the adjustment entries under the Adjustment tab while editing an image you have probably noticed that when you click on an entry it expands and stays expanded after the adjustment dialog box has closed. The fact that it does not automatically close upon dismissing the associated dialog box has always annoyed me but, since my workflow usually involves editing in a workflow tool like CaptureOne and using AP as an external editor, it had little actual impact on me. I adjusted one image at a time and closed AP after I was finished with that image and, when AP was reopened, the adjustment entries were all properly closed.

Today I spent some time working with multiple images, all open in AP simultaneously, and noticed that not only does the adjustment entry stay open after it has been used, it does so even if the user switches to a different image or, in fact, opens another image after using the adjustment. This means that if I want to use, say, the Levels Adjustment on several images in sequence I have to:

1. Click on the Levels entry and make the adjustment on image 1,

2. Click on the Levels entry (to close it) and then click on the Levels entry again (to open it) to make the adjustment on image 2.

3. Repeat for image 3, and so on.

That is, making an adjustment requires on click to open the adjustment dialog box for the first image and then two clicks for every subsequent image. Why is all of this extra clicking required? Why does each image not get a completely closed set of adjustment entries?

Do others find this annoying? Or is it only me?

Hi Mike

The adjustments panel is mainly just for adjustment presets, they are not fully linked to the dialog for the adjustment itself, they simply just call up the preset. There are other methods to add an adjustment such as the button on the layers panel or through the layer menu. 

With the multi image workflow described above you are able to reduce the number of clicks needed. The adjustment dialog will automatically close when you switch documents so you do not need to take the extra step to close the dialog first. If you are referring to closing the levels section on the adjustment panel, then I do not see why this would be needed, especially if you are going to apply the adjustment on the next image anyway unless there is something i am missing here

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Mike

The adjustments panel is mainly just for adjustment presets, they are not fully linked to the dialog for the adjustment itself, they simply just call up the preset. There are other methods to add an adjustment such as the button on the layers panel or through the layer menu. 

With the multi image workflow described above you are able to reduce the number of clicks needed. The adjustment dialog will automatically close when you switch documents so you do not need to take the extra step to close the dialog first. If you are referring to closing the levels section on the adjustment panel, then I do not see why this would be needed, especially if you are going to apply the adjustment on the next image anyway unless there is something i am missing here

Thanks

The adjustment panel may be for presets, but it opens the exact same adjustment slider dialog box as I would get from opening it from the Layers command drop-down and I get the exact same adjustment control, so I guess I do not see why you would say it is only for presets. If I could only apply presets using the Adjustment Tab entries I would not use them at all.

As far as your comment that I can reduce my click count by using the Layers entry, that is wrong. Consider - I want to adjust the Brightness and Contrast on an image. If I use the Adjustment Tab entry I click one time to open the dialog box, make an adjustment and (since I have to) click once more to close it. Two clicks, one of which seems unnecessary to me. If I want to use the Layers drop down there are also two clicks, one to open the drop-down list and another to select the adjustment I want. Again, two clicks, both necessary, and requiring that I change the concentration of my work from the image/panel area to the top of the UI. My point was that if the Adjustment Tab entry closed when the dialog box closed I would not have to perform two clicks.

As for your comment that the adjustment dialog box will close when I open another image, that is true, but the Adjustment Tab entry does not close when another file is opened. It remains open requiring that the user again close it (one click) and open it again (another click) when it seems clear that opening another image should close the dialog box and the Adjustment Tab entry.