You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Backwrite for Snow Leopard

No matter what, I'm not moving one inch, not one crummy Apple "update" past 10.6.8. It's just too much to risk losing complete functionality of CS5. I am off the bus so far as any more compliance with Apple's corporate policy of planned obsolescence—at least Adobe is obvious ("honest") in their approach. I'll run this iMac, with CS5, until it smokes. Please adapt designer for the now-"legacy" machines.

• 7 months later...

Please please please.

I am on a Mac Pro running Snow Leopard. I have a number of older programs that I will loose usability if I upgrade to Mavrick and that, unfortunately is ALSO the last update I can do before Apple digs into my pockets for a new computer. Something I don't have the money for. To be frank, a few years ago when Adobe CC came out, I tracked down and purchased CS6 specificially to get away from Adobe's Creative Cloud Computing....can't stand it. Yes, I know I need to know how to use it and I am sure I will when the time comes, but for now, NO NO NO. Adobe, go away and peddle your CC somewhere else.

Worse, I have 0 income at this point. So please, if your thinking of doing something to help us OLDER Mac users to adopt to your software, please go for it. I use Illustrator A LOT and to frank, I love so many of your features and capabilities that I am looking forward to some day actually playing with and working with your software.

I actually bought a new-er machine and upgraded from Snow Leopard (which I loved) to Mountain Lion (which I don't but it's less obnoxious than Yosemite) just so I could run Affinity Designer.  I still run Snow Leopard in a partition because my older, can't afford to upgrade, version of Painter won't run in ML.  It's a minor PITA switching from one OS to the other but I'm happy enough with Designer and Photo, especially with all the continuing improvements, to make the transition worthwhile.

I can understand and totally relate to wanting to run software on an older computer but it is a little silly to expect a software company to do this. Technology moves forward, not backwards and while there are many people who cling to Snow Leopard, you can't expect others to do the same. This is especially funny to me because many people have requested this because they want to keep using Adobe CS 5. If keeping Snow Leopard is so important, then simply partition your hard drive and install Yosemite on the second partition and that way you can dual-boot (like LilleG), problem solved. No need to trouble the developers, let them concentrate on making the software better. Partitioning a hard drive in OS X is pretty painless nowadays and so it should be a no-brainer. There is of course virtualization but that requires more work and is much more complicated than simply partitioning a hard drive. I can totally relate to your situation VictorC, I've been there before too but you can't expect the tech world to wait for you. 

Hokusai