You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change layer resolution and better scaling algorithms

I apologize if this question has been answered, but previous answered look like they referred to just the resizing of a layer relative to the canvas.

Lets say I have two images - both 300 dpi. I place one image on top of the other. Now I have to scale up the front image by 10x. Effectively, the new image has only 30dpi relative the actual canvas. The layer looks very pixelated, as opposed to blurred. If I were to blow this up 10x in it's own document by resizing the image, it would look blurry but not pixelated.

It appears that AP keeps placed layers in their original data size. I'm wondering if there is a way to rasterize a layer in a way that it effectively scales up the source media using bilinear scaling, so that filters could then be applied to the higher-res document.

I'm attaching a closeup of the two layers on top of each other with a composite mode applied (1). You can see that the white area is sharp, as it is a text layer. The black dot that overlaps the white area is a bitmap image that was copied from another document and scaled up.

The black and white versions are the original image placed in a larger image and scaled, with no effects (2), and the original image scaled to 5x using image size (3).

Although Image 3 isn't perfect, it's a little better to work with and can be cleaned up with some additional filters.

Also, you can see I was able to get it a little smoother by scaling in increments (4) using 2x, 2x, then about 1.3x

It would be great to just be able to place this image on top of the other, then run the rasterize function to create a solid bitmap to the native resolution of the image, and then be able to apply filters to at that native resolution.

Thanks!

post-27784-0-33891600-1490551644_thumb.png

post-27784-0-88542900-1490552151_thumb.png

post-27784-0-35481900-1490552158_thumb.png

post-27784-0-75434000-1490552374_thumb.png

It appears that AP keeps placed layers in their original data size. I'm wondering if there is a way to rasterize a layer in a way that it effectively scales up the source media using bilinear scaling, so that filters could then be applied to the higher-res document.

Have you tried copying the layer, using New From Clipboard to open it in a separate document, & rasterizing & resizing it there, using any of the various resampling or resizing options? Then copy that & paste it back into your original document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7