You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi!

I've had a continual problem that seems ridiculously simple to fix, but for some reason, I can't find the information.

Basically, I export from lightroom, and edit in affinity.  Since the latest patch, affinity (thankfully) automatically reflects any changes I save in the affinity file/window.  However, I cannot close the affinity file, or it won't automatically reflect those changes anymore.

I can accept that, but here's where I really struggle.  Even when I save such a file with "save as" and "with layers", if I open the .afphoto file at a later date, it seems to have removed all my work and layers, and only saved it as a pixel/rasterized image.  So it basically ends up being a destructive edit.

Is there any solution to this?

• Staff

Hi poleninjaphotography,

You said you are exporting from Lightroom and then editing in Affinity. Seems you have not set Adobe Lightroom to use Affinity Photo as an external editor and are instead exporting the files from Lightroom and opening them in Affinity Photo manually. Is this the case? If so, you need to go to Lightroom Preferences and set Affinity Photo as an external editor, then you can send the image directly from Lightroom to Affinity Photo (no need to export or anything), edit the image in Affinity and click Save to send it back to Lightroom. You also have to set up which format you want to use for this roundtrip (you can select TIFF for this). Don't forget to tick Save Affinity layers checkbox when saving from Affinity so all layers/edits you have done remain editable next time you send the same file from Lightroom again.

Let me know if you still have trouble.