You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

improvements to text on path

what I like about Affintity Text on path are the snap points when dragging.

otherwise the tool seems to quite limited or odd to use.

take a look at Gravit:

You can place text on the path on top or inside, reverse the direction for text on an ellipse 

and what is quite nice is also the offset value

gravit.mov

affinity.mov

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

You can reverse the curve, or change the baseline of the text, using tools in the context toolbar. They aren't visible in your video because your video captures too small an area - I can just see the "B" of the word "Baseline", which is what you are calling "offset".

You can have text on both the inside and outside of the curve. Put a <CR> in the first line to force the rest of the text onto the other side.

You can reverse the curve, or change the baseline of the text, using tools in the context toolbar. They aren't visible in your video because your video captures too small an area - I can just see the "B" of the word "Baseline", which is what you are calling "offset".

You can have text on both the inside and outside of the curve. Put a <CR> in the first line to force the rest of the text onto the other side.

Hi David,

thanks for the pointers. I figured out how this is supposed to work now.

Nice compact approach!

The manual that comes with Affinity Designer needs more clarifications such as screenshots.

Before going to the forum and posting here I looked into the manual.

post-9948-0-92659300-1486780533_thumb.jpg

there are I think some areas that could be further improved

more snapping points on the path - the ellipse as an example shows three but we have 4 text markers

post-9948-0-56004900-1486781335_thumb.jpg

show path when moving text or adjusting baseline.

not being able to see path makes adjusting the baseline very very hard

post-9948-0-34855600-1486781699_thumb.jpg

it would be great to edit text with having the text tool selected without having to select the object first.

thats an extra step.

also I do not understand why you do not allow the text path to keep a stroke or such. this makes really no sense.

this forces me to add extra paths ontop or below making selecting the right object more complex

There is also bug with the baseline

you have only -50% to 0 to 100% and not -100%

plus the drag slider jumps when going negative nearly instantly to -50%

In addition the CTRL sync text marker drag on windows seems extremely buggy.

I just locked up Designer each time I just used it - needed to force quite it.

1. the sync drag does not work well - does not drag evenly from the beginning

2. the text marker seem to quickly overlap while only moving the mouse a little sending the text around the path and locking up designer

Claas Kuhnen

more snapping points on the path - the ellipse as an example shows three but we have 4 text markers

It snaps at the 4 quarter-marks and the 3 third-marks. I'm not sure having more would really help. Usually people want their text centred around the top or bottom, which is easy to achieve if you use the align-centre paragraph option.

it would be great to edit text with having the text tool selected without having to select the object first.

thats an extra step.

But if there are several text objects, how would it know which one you wanted to edit? If you have nothing selected, then you click or drag in the text and it will place the caret, or highlight the text, immediately, without needing a separate click for the object.

also I do not understand why you do not allow the text path to keep a stroke or such. this makes really no sense.

this forces me to add extra paths ontop or below making selecting the right object more complex

Mainly because it complicated the UI; we wanted Stroke and Colour panels to affect the text, not the path it is following, so there needed to be some way of indicating they should edit the path instead. We plan to revisit this, hopefully in time for 1.6. It's needed for Text frames, too.

There is also bug with the baseline

you have only -50% to 0 to 100% and not -100%

plus the drag slider jumps when going negative nearly instantly to -50%

That's new. I'm getting it on Windows too. I'll look into it.

In addition the CTRL sync text marker drag on windows seems extremely buggy.

I just locked up Designer each time I just used it - needed to force quite it.

1. the sync drag does not work well - does not drag evenly from the beginning

2. the text marker seem to quickly overlap while only moving the mouse a little sending the text around the path and locking up designer

I've not been able to reproduce this on Windows. I'll have a look on the Mac next week

I see the point with making the UI not as complex

Freehand like Gravit solve this through properties and this approach works pretty good.

when in text mode you should be able to edit the text

when in path node mode you should edit the path

that already would be a well working and logical approach.

post-9948-0-30444400-1486917995_thumb.jpg

with having the text tool selected and clicking onto the text Affinity should be smart enough

to jump into text edit mode instead of making a new text box.

in freehand this works very well

and in affinity with the node tool I can select just only the path

this would make sense and help selecting only the object the tool is allowed to edit

Oddly sometimes I see mainly 3 third marks not 4 quarter marks. how is this being triggered?

While screen recording I tried to recreate the Designer lock up when using CTRL and the text maker

but was only able to show you a massive lag and the UI freezing for some seconds. yet this still is not ideal. the CPU fan kicks on and you can see that dragging in addition runs nto very smoothly.

here is the video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2XzJ4Q3p6cDBLNDg/view

lol of course after screen recording trying it again I was able to reproduce it

I did not overlap the markers just moved them left and right

cpu load was once even hitting 51%!

post-9948-0-65724700-1486918753_thumb.png

Claas Kuhnen

sync dragging on OS X works without crashing or heavily freezing the app for some seconds.

only issue is the drag lag in general in Affinity apps on my MacPro.

Claas Kuhnen