You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symmetric handling of selections and masks

Hey,

I wanted to propose a symmetric architecture for selection and mask handling. Today I am missing the following things:

1) Once a layer mask is created from a global selection, I cannot overwrite the mask through a new global selection

2) If I have a layer mask, I found no way to convert the mask to a global selection

3) I have found no way to display a layer mask as a red overlay like the one displayed in refine mask or in quick mask mode.

4) There are some smaller inconsistencies: Refine is available in all selection toolbars except the flood selection toolbar. The button tooltip for quick mask is "Toggle Quick Mask [Q]", where the menu displays a "Edit Selection As Layer" command without a shortcut.

Why can I create more than one layer mask for a pixel layer, how are they combined? What is the use case?

The whole thing feels kind of asymmetric. So here is an architecture which would improve my workflow and my understanding where I am currently in the editing process (see screenshot). There are no dead ends:

- A layer mask can be replaced through a new selection

- A selection can be restored from a layer mask

- A layer mask can be edited and refined as quick mask (with different overlay modes)

- The context of the quick mask mode/ refine mode is clear, so no output combo box is needed in the refine dialog

- It is possible to enter quick mask mode from refine mode, even if the user selected refine mask/selection in the first place

This way a global selection becomes a temporary mask template which is not applied to a content layer. What do you think about it?

post-32068-0-27234500-1483990842_thumb.png

Because there is no reaction so far, it would be something to start with, if it just could be possible to create a selection from an available mask. Is that possible?

Then I would ignore the "Edit Mask" command and use:

1) Create selection from mask

2) Quick mask

3) Mask layer

4) Delete old mask