You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection issue (black/white stripes)

Hello folks,

I am new to both Affinity Photo as well as photo editing in general. So in case of this is intended behavior, please forgive me  :) 
Every time I want to use a selection tool (it really doesn't matter which one) I see the selection region on the photo for a brief moment and then the entire document area turns into a moving black-and-white striped diagonal lines pattern. Here's a short screencast: http://screencast.com/t/80pZwGhhK

I'm using Affinity Photo Windows Beta 1.5.0.37 on Windows 10, 64-Bit. Just for completeness I'm going to mention that this is a Virtual machine. I am using VMware Workstation 12 Pro but I am pretty sure that this has no influences as every other software I am using for years now is working fine. Also, all other features in Affinity Photo I tried so far are working well.
I also reinstalled Affinity Photo once to ensure that it's not some strange setting I once activated accidentally (I manually deleted the appdata folder and registry entries to ensure that no settings are left behind).

Can somebody tell me whether this is a bug or whether I'm just doing something horribly wrong?

• Staff

Sorry but we don't support virtual machines. The main reason is we use hardware acceleration for drawing and the pixel selection display is one example of VMs not working well. We use a Direct X pixel shader to show the marching ants and find that VMs don't support the depth buffer we rely on.

No need to apologize! I fully understand that. I can confirm that everything works as expected on a physical machine.

I have to check the licensing of the Affinity Designer then (as I assume that Affinity Photo will use the same once released) as my main reason to run things in a virtual environment is so I can access it from any computer. I need that software at least on two computers (my main stationary work horse and my notebook). I never use both at the same time. I basically need a single user - multiple seats license.

May I furthermore recommend showing a warning dialog during installation in case of a virtual environment has been detected? I guess a simple "Things might not work as expected" would be enough in this case so it's up to the user to decide whether he wants to continue the installation or not.

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Much appreciated, Sir!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.