You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UI Design with Affinity

sorin.jurcut

Working on a redesign of an app in my company, and I wanted to experiment with Affinity Designer. Having had worked with both Sketch, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, Affinity was the right amount of "strange" I needed. Right between Ps and Ai, with bits of Sketch, it's exactly what I need. I got accustomed to the snapping, and it's a joy to do UI design with it. Especially with Artboards. Very very easy. I'm a bit miffed with the occasional crashes from various sources, but those are going to be history once the beta goes MP and gets released.

I've also tested Flinto, Pixate and Principle in parallell with Affinity Designer, and I settled on Principle. Flinto is simply too primitive and has issues with element positioning. Quite the odd UX they got. not a fan. Pixate is a bit complicated and just doesn't cut it in terms of more complicated stuff. Having said that, Principle is still not the best, lacking timelined animation & interaction. What I wanted to see was something along the lines of After Effects Timeline animation but for individual elements, adjustable timeline lenght, etc. I would've wanted to be able to stopwatch parameters of properties and be able to change them (create keyframes in the process). Alas, no. The principle phone client is really primitive. No wireless sharing, you have to be connected. Eugh !

Unfortunately I cannot give more info about the project, nor can I post more screens, because I'd then be in deep trouble.

Cheers.

post-38301-0-30984700-1478295919_thumb.png

UI and UX designer extraordinaire, dad, avid Destiny player, and generally striving for decency.