You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clone tool not working for HDR image

As I mentioned in an earlier post today I have been putting together a series of HDR sequences. Most have worked properly in that I did not need to do much work after the initial HDR adjustments but one contained a considerable amount of lens flare that I wanted to remove.

After moving to the Photo Persona I used the InPainting Tool to get rid of what I could and, when I still needed to do some additional work, I activated the Clone Tool. Much to my surprise I was unable to set the source point as I normally am able to do. My first step was to check the source tab and make sure that I had the HDR image selected (I don't know if that is important but it seemed like something I should at least check). When that did not work I tried flattening the image and trying again. There were no other layers, but "any port in a storm", but again, I could not set the source for the clone. I next loaded a normal single image and tried doing some clone tool adjustments and that worked properly. I could set the source point without any issue.

I closed APB and re-did the HDR image using the same images. Again, after moving to the Photo Persona and taking care of some spots using the InPainting Tool, I could not set the source point for the Clone Tool.

Perhaps there is something wrong in what I am doing or perhaps there is some restriction in setting the source point for the Clone Tool when processing HDR images - I don't know, but I could not set the source point and that seemed to warrant a post. Perhaps someone could correct me as to where I am going wrong? Or perhaps this is a bug related to the HDR images?

• Staff

Hey Mike, I suspect this is to do with the clone brush automatically having its source mode changed to work with the sources panel (for deghosting purposes). You'll need to change it back to work with the current layer. On the context toolbar you should be able to set it back to "Current Layer". If it's already set to Current Layer then there's a bug still present: try setting it to something else like Global and back again and that should work. I'll check on Monday (don't have access to Photo at the moment) if this is still the case; it was discovered a while ago but may have slipped the net amongst other priorities...

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hey Mike, I suspect this is to do with the clone brush automatically having its source mode changed to work with the sources panel (for deghosting purposes). You'll need to change it back to work with the current layer. On the context toolbar you should be able to set it back to "Current Layer". If it's already set to Current Layer then there's a bug still present: try setting it to something else like Global and back again and that should work. I'll check on Monday (don't have access to Photo at the moment) if this is still the case; it was discovered a while ago but may have slipped the net amongst other priorities...

Hope that helps!

I guess I need some help here. Exactly what "Context Tool Bar" are you referring to?

There is nothing that I can see to do at the top tool bar and the context text for the clone tool does not give me any options. I guess I am puzzled by exactly where you are talking about.

On, and just to clarify, (a) I did not have de-ghosting turned on for the HDR merge and ( B) the clone tool actually works as I can paint with it. I just can not set the source and it is acting as though the source has already been set and can not be changed.

Ah. Got it. Changed it to Current Layer and now it is working.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.